Just built a new workbench

It's been a long time since I posted here. I moved to Germany for work in the meantime. I can see a few familiar names. Who's still around...Gunner? Igor? Bob? Eric? Ernie? Leon? Brian? Harold? Spehro? Wayne?

Here are pictures of my latest project. I just built a sturdy workbench for my new basement. It's designed for quick dismantling. Paint and a 40 mm thick plywood top are yet to come:

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Very nice!

I am wondering, why did you choose not to weld the top frame?

Ignoramus5677

Am Dienstag, 6. Januar 2015 00:40:28 UTC+1 schrieb Ignoramus5677:

Because that would stop me dismantling the bench into small parts for trans port.

It's actually very rigid because of the arrangement of bolts. When you push on the bench in a perpendicular direction, two bolts in each leg are loade d in shear, but two are loaded in tension. The two which are loaded in tens ion stop the other two from slipping, even if they aren't very tight.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Looks nicely done! You must be renting to build something that can be quickly dismantled.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

I like the design. Not what you usually see. But it works well and is simple enough. I'll bet you could easily use the same angle iron for the top as the legs too. Weld the flat piece the bolts go through and then add a triangle shaped strut between the flat/angle for rigidity.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Am Dienstag, 6. Januar 2015 20:42:00 UTC+1 schrieb Leon Fisk:

I could have used the same angle for the top frame, yes, but I was looking for a quick and reliable design which was simple to build. It might be more awkward getting the legs square with angle around the top. As it is, the l egs are almost perfectly vertical. I can't detect a lean in any of them.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

No, but it needs to be shipped and carried through a basement door on my own. It's just more convenient if it comes apart.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Welcome back, Chris.