Proper way to lift new nitrogen storage tank

My company is getting a nitrogen generating system next month. Parts are beginning to arrive. This morning our nitrogen storage tank came in, laying down and strapped to a long pallet. It is 6 ft. long and weighs

680 lbs.

At some time we will need to set it upright and move to it's final location. There are no places to attach a chain to the tank.

There is a 1 1/2 inch pipe port right at the top and I am thinking I will screw in a short nipple and add a pipe cap with a chain bolted to the cap. Then use the fork lift to pick up the tank using the chain fastened to one of the forks.

Any thoughts of other ways to set it up and move it?

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

Add a tee to the nipple and put a rod trough the tee, then chain or strap

Ignoramus10907

Without seeing it, I would question if lifting with the top fitting might stress the tank in the wrong way.

I probably would lift using the pallet it self. The pallet then will be holding the tank as it is lifted avoiding sideways load on the legs or top fitting. I would put in the nipple and a tee with a chain thru it in the fitting to use for a safety.

Reply to
StephenB

That should do it nicely.

The company should have shipped a lifting nib with the tank. The bastards.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I like that idea. Don't have to mess with drilling a pipe cap, etc. I think I have most of the parts here at home.

Thanks, I.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

Paul Drahn fired this volley in news:kku7hf$nes $ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I don't; at least not if that 'tank' is a Dewar flask instead of a pressure tank. Most of the "nitrogen generators" I've had association with have been LN2 systems.

Dewars have thin walls and insulation/vacuum between. They cannot take significant loads or pressures anywhere on their surfaces.

Better to build a 'cradle' around the tank, and raise it into position with that. (if it's a Dewar)

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Don't suppose you've considered calling the vendor and asking them??

Reply to
mike

This if it is in fact an LN2 Dewar. The Airgas branch near me recently got a *huge* O2 Dewar installed at their facility, something a good 30' tall. The riggers screwed up and damaged the outer shell when setting it in place with a crane and it took days and cost $$$ to get it repaired and re-vacuumed.

Reply to
Pete C.

Good advice. I'd add that if he does decide to put a side load on a nipple, it should at least be sch80 or reinforced with a welded sleeve. It's easier than most people think to snap a scd40 nipple at the thread root by jerking it sideways. It happens every day when farmers get careless useing a backhoe to pull water well pipe strings.

Reply to
whoyakidding's ghost

This is a standard air receiver painted green, right? You don't want to risk bending that fitting at the top - the steel should be thick enough, but you never know... And don't want to find out.

At least for the getting it standing upright part, I'd take a Nylon webbing lifting sling and put it choker around the top of the tank (loop it through it's own eye) - then put a ratchet strap around it so it can't slide up.

An even better one - Is there another pair of holes on what will be the side when you stand it up? Often they use the same 1-1/2" NPT bungs for inspection ports, with a reducing bushing to 3/4" for the air in and out... Pull the second plug and thread a nylon sling or some heavy rope through the two holes, top and upper side.

Put the free end of the sling over the fork, and stand it up. Have several bodies around to keep it from swinging into the forklift boom or anything that would chip the paint.

Once it's vertical, then it should be safe to lift from those threads.

Keep it as low as possible so it doesn't have far to fall.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable)

Nope, not a Dewar tank. Heavy steel, good for storing any gas. No insulation. The actual air compressor and nitrogen filters are due in mid-May.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

Paul Drahn fired this volley in news:kkucoc$shc $ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Then Haul Away! (do beef up the threaded part, or use a forged stainless nipple, so it doesn't break off at the thread)

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

A 1.5 inch fitting will not break lifting a 600 lbs tank

Reply to
Ignoramus2288

It will be side loaded, putting maximum stress on the thread roots which are pretty thin on sch40 pipe. Sch80 will be much better, or thread up a solid bar in the lathe, drill and tap a center hole and install a load rated swivel eye.

Reply to
Pete C.

If it's chinese or indian it might break just tightening it into the tank.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Cydrome Leader fired this volley in news:kkv6g8$jj3$ snipped-for-privacy@reader1.panix.com:

No, we've already been told it won't break; so it just won't. If it does break, it didn't really do that; because it won't.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

The steady initial load will be more like 400. A 1.5" scd40 nipple absolutely could break with a jerky side load. Some of the cheap ones are threaded at an angle and the thread root is paper thin on one side. Tanks tend to come with shallow flanges that sometimes allow the nipple to bottom out and not allow full thread engagement. I'd rate the chance of a break in this case at 1% for a careless operator. Then again a sch80 fitting costs about a buck extra. Or tacking in a sleeve takes about a minute. The OP asked for advice and the thread issue is well worth mentioning. Your declaration on the other hand is ill advised.

Reply to
whoyakidding's ghost

whoyakidding's ghost fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You strung together so many quote lines, you might have been saying that to anyone. I declared that it MIGHT break. I got caught up in the attributions originally by saying it wasn't wise to lift a Dewar Flask that way.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I was replying to Ig. You are right and he isn't.

Reply to
whoyakidding's ghost

I would probably use a nylon sling and a steel rod with a couple of washers tacked to it so the sling has to stay in the center of the rod. Just poke the rod into the tank and then let it turn 90 degrees so it is across the pipe port. I am leary about any bending moments of a pipe threaded in the hole.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster