Questions about 3 in one machines?

Hello,

This is my first post to this group. I have always wanted to tinker with metal working. My shop space is limited so I was considering a Smithy combination lathe and milling machine. I know that it would not be as good as dedicated machinery. My question is, would the Smithy product be a good choice or is there a better option? I wouldn't say money isn't an issue, but space and versatility is more of an issue.

Feedback would be appreciated.

Regards,

Mike B.

Reply to
Auriga

I would get a separate lathe and mill even if it meant settling for a smaller machine. There are many times you need to polish a pin or shaft and it's a pain with a combo machine to be always breaking setups.

Reply to
starbolins

Oh! Then you want a UWG!

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

If you have settled on a 3 in 1 machine for reasons of space etc. then look at the shopmaster-

Its by far the best of the bunch especially as a mill. If you are still considering seperates, keep in mind the extra costs of adding DRO, CNC , two benches etc on 2 seperate machines.

Reply to
Jim Insolo

I have a Shoptask and am very happy with it. I had the same situation, only a short section of wall space available in my house for one machine tool. I have added the overarm support like the current generation of the Shoptask (the Tri-power), and this stiffens the mill considerably. There are several forums for discussing 3 in 1 machines:

DT

The Smithy I bought new was pure junk. I cannot, with a clear conscience, recommend one to anyone. All the fasteners were so soft that even with the provided tool the heads rounded off within a few tightenings. The Mill head would slip and rotate on it's column in the middle of a job no matter how tight I got the clamps. Every time the chuck was removed and replaced, it was never true until I loosened the mounting bolts and centered it using a dial indicator. The column was off plumb enough that it had to be shimmed to get it right. Junk.

Reply to
Gerry

Mike, Maybe you should sign up on the

They have a dedicated section for 3 in 1 machines. DJ

Reply to
Mechanical Magic

========================= Even tne paint is expensive

but I want one.

Nick - How popular were these in Germany and have you ever seen one in the flesh?

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

They are *very* rare (well maybe not, but if you have one, you'll keep it and your children will keep it too) and you'll have to pay a collector's price. With complete add-ons, they won't go below 5000.- EUR for the UWG 2 in mint condition.

Still want one? :-)) They pop up on eBay from time to time.

There's a similar type quite beefier and once made in Holland. Forgot the name.

Here's more about the UWG (in German)

Something similar still being built (new construction, maybe 10 years old) and almost as flexible is the GOLmatic. I have seen that tool once. It is well made, no crap (except the lathe is not soooo good). I once was close buying one, but then retracted because the distance spindle nose table was too small for me. Not comparable to those crappy Chinese 3in1!

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

================= Thanks for the info.

Yes I still want one, however I want a big new Mercedes diesel car too. Won't be getting that either...

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

Thanks for the input guys.

It helps a novice like myself.