radio's saving time didn't

Daylight saving time today, three weeks early. 'puter patch worked, cell phone was smart, VCR self updated, all the manual clocks changed.

But, we've got an alarm clock radio that knows when to switch to saving time. Don't know how it does it, just magic, I guess. It didn't switch. If we change the time, it will advance again in three weeks. Anybody know how to fix an alarm clock radio to the new rules?

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I'd guess if it were one getting a signal from WWV it'd be good. So if it's in ROM or something, just do as you already suggested, set it up, then in three weeks set it back. Or put it in a closet until they repeal this and get another in the meantime.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

If it's one of the ones that claims to get synched with WWV, you may just need to give it a day. What "should" happen and what does are somewhat different, at least on the cheap versions of those that are common, based on the ones I've seen. Normally they happily set themselves and are pretty right on, but at time changes, rather than updating at the correct time (2AM), they sit and stew for an absurdly long time before correcting.

If it's simply aware of the date and has DST hard-coded, there's no fix but setting it ahead now and back in 3 weeks.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

I just noticed that the computer did the change by its self. How did that happen? I (assumed) that the dates were in the basic Op Sys. I havent upgraded anything that I know of. Something going on that I didn't ask for or permit??? ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

My computer, a Win XP unit purchased 11/06, didn't update. I generally discourage auto updates, must be the reason.

Reply to
Gary Brady

Gary Brady wrote in news:H0WIh.126299$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Yep!

They put out a "fix" right after the idiots in DC passed the legislation.

If you go to the MS website, you can download & install it so that, next fall, you won't have to jump through the same hoops.

Reply to
Eregon

I see by your headers you're running a Windows operating system. Presumably, you have automatic updates enabled, and your computer downloaded the patch from MonkeySoft on its own a couple of weeks ago.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Having Win XP and discouraging auto updates is a recipe for virus-laden pain. Of course, having Windows XP and encouraging auto updates is also a recipe for virus-laden pain, but at least they won't be the old tired viruses (worms, trojans, etc...) which MS has actually come out with a fix for.

Suit yourself.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

Ive got one of those LaCrosse watches that is supposed to sync to WWV..it did once in its life span. Now the battery is dead again..and I think it will go into the watch box as a Future Paper Weight.

I wore it exactly 3 days.

Gunner

Political Correctness

Gunner

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 15:42:36 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Lew Hartswick quickly quoth:

I checked last night and Micro$oft said I had already downloaded the program fix. That's one of the advantages of letting the OS update itself. Your auto-update must be turned on, Lew.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Tell it you are in Saskachewan, and set it ahead and back manually.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Automatic update enabled?

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

ANY computer is a recipe for pain - get used to it!!! Only been working with the stupid things for a bit over 18 years now - and getting used to it.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Much like government, I don't necessarily want all the Microsoft that I've paid for.

Reply to
Gary Brady

I have a WWV sync'd wall clock that works pretty well as long as it's facing a window pointed at Fort Collins, CO. I'm in Massachusetts, so it's a good ways off. It has a little trouble in the Fall, because the clock mechanism only goes forward, and sometimes it gets confused & takes a day or two to settle down. It did fine last night.

WWV broadcasts on very low frequencies to get nation (world?) wide coverage, and I find it hard to believe they can get a good enough antenna into a watch to make it work reliably unless you live much closer to the transmitter than I do.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

We have a number of clocks that sync to the Rugby MSF transmitter in the UK. The problem we have is that we are within 2 miles of the 60kHz transmitter and the signal is lousy. The sky wave goes up and the ground wave goes down... No signal from the Rugby transmitter at Rugby, even though I've had no problems with it in India 5000 miles away! The transmitter site is closing down and being moved 100 miles North on April the 1st, I live in hope of getting a decent signal then.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

I guess it was. :-( I thought that everything had to go through Zonealarm and I never gave it permission to connect to MS but evidently it gets around that. I just turned it off again now every time I turn on I have to click that disgusting little box that tells me "my computer may be at risk" Any way to get rid of that? ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 00:26:04 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Lew Hartswick quickly quoth:

Sure: change it back to last night's config. ;)

I never used to go through that crap, but found that I had more problems by not updating when MS said to than by allowing them. I highly recommend turning Automatic Updates back on nowadays. It wasn't nearly as important in Win 3.1. Ah, those were the days...

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You think you are in control of your computer, think again.

John

Reply to
John

It must have been the republican nitwits, the democrat nitwits weren't a majority at the time.

John

Reply to
John