Rate my meatball lathe stand

As I posted a while ago, I have this Atlas 10x24 that came on a firewood bench. I cut that up with the ol' chainsaw and built this:

The legs are from an ancient FE Reed that that someone junked. Main planks are antique close-grained pine 2x12s. Bolted together, it weighs about 180 pounds and is as solid as a rock. Won't budge an inch if given s swift kick.

I'm just curious if I overlooked anything in particular in this fine example of hack carpentry.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

Way cool, John! That sucker should stand the test of time with no sweat.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Looks pretty good to me. Only question I have is how you are going to control chips and coolant from splattering everywhere?

Other than that..finest kind.

Gunner

Confronting Liberals with the facts of reality is very much akin to clubbing baby seals. It gets boring after a while, but because Liberals are so stupid it is easy work." Steven M. Barry

Reply to
Gunner

Hey John,

Looks very nice. My only negative is rather in the form of a suggestion, and that is to counter-bore for the bolt-heads and washers to below flush with the table top. Especially if you intend to put on a chip tray. Even if you do a chip tray, it won't require any more than two or four of the "bolts" to hold it in place, and in fact should use much smaller screws or the lathe hold-down bolts anyway.

And I assume that the open space will be for a drawer. I have one on mine that is really handy.

Take care.

Brian Laws>As I posted a while ago, I have this Atlas 10x24 that came on a firewood bench.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

On 04 Oct 2004 03:34:51 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (GTO69RA4) calmly ranted:

Erm, _PAINT_? Strip and paint those legs, prime and paint (or clean and lacquer) the new top.

Looks sturdy! Good job.

P.S: Kicking solid cast iron is a good way to lose toes, John.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I probably would have made a trip to Home Cheepo and sprung for some carriage bolts, and whacked 'em in if need be so they were flush with the top.

Otherwise, as they say down Maine, "Pretty is as pretty does."

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

That's a valid suggestion, but I've had enough fun getting chips and crap out of counter-sunk bolt holes. As far as a chip tray, I sort of got used to using smaller lathes like this on open stands. Sweep, sweep, sweep. Might add one if something pretty turns up.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

I figure I'll attack those legs sooner or later, but they look better in person. Something about spending more time with the wire brush...

All the wood as shown in the photo was surface planed, sanded, and slathered librally with varnish. Still need to work on my woodworking technique.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

I'd give it a 8.65 and a third. lg no neat sig line

Reply to
larry g

How about MY lathe table?

(1x4 white oak glued and nailed, plus 3/4" plywood top, 2 x 4' overall. And yeah, I need to reinforce the legs.)

Tim

Reply to
Tim Williams