Best survival calibers; was 7 ways to stay alive

>> Article covers a lot of calibers, yet doesn't even mention the .300 >> magnums. Why is that? I understand that the .300 RUM is considered >> more powerful now. > >"It's easy to say that a .30-06 with a good bullet will take any game in >North America, including the big bears. This is a true statement, proven >by many hunters during the last 96 years. If a .30-06 will work, then >any of the several magnum .30's mated with heavy, well-constructed >bullets will work even better. Also true."

Considering that hand loading for different weight bullets would be fun, I bought a .375 Ruger at Walmart for a low price, bought a supply of bullets from a retiring .375 H&H owner, invested in enough cases to last a long time, and got reloading tools.. Idea was that I could use a Chrony and develop a different cartridge for deer (200 gr.), caribou (235 gr.), moose (275 gr.) and bear (300 gr.) using the same power. Figured I could do all this with the 20" Alaskan with quick release mount and scope.

Someone mentioned that I could further simplify by going with the highly rated 265 gr. for everything. Quirky mystique about the .375 Ruger is that the factory 300 gr. is most accurate. I did read an article years ago about how a man in Texas reduce loaded a .458 for shooting rabbits. Of course, they have really big rabbits in Texas. To begin with, I tried breaking in the Ruger using 200 gr. round nose pushed by reduced loads of shotgun powder. It went "fomp!" but had little recoil or accuracy. About that time I realized that I needed a muzzle brake and suppressor to complete the project consistently, and started pricing them. One selling in South Africa is cheap, but aluminum, and I think I want stainless steel baffles. One made in New Zealand is interesting. Could commit to get one in U.S. but price is stiff, like over $1K, plus what it costs to get barrel machined.

As it is, I'm still looking for the right reflex suppressor to go with a 20" barrel for looks and balance. Additional weight would help. Still have to learn whether recoil on this canon will move bullets in channel. Maybe problem solves itself when shell is loaded and pushed into rifling. For now, I'm a stranger at the rifle range, but could get out my .375 Ruger if any bears try to invade my 3rd floor apartment.

Reply to
Don

S***!! I just flashed on an image of a pink cloud of bunny mist just from the wind of the passing bullet.

Reply to
Winston_Smith

Reminds me that the article I read did mention the owner saying that near misses on an uncooperative rabbit sometimes kicked up deadly gravel.

Couldn't locate the old magazine article I read, but found zealous loaders at

(quote) .458 Winchester Magnum Gopher Loads

reduced loads? Thanks for your help in advance, Uncle Stumpy.

Here you go, you lunatic:: 458 Win Mag vs AP (unquote)

Reply to
Don

I regularly use a mega 45-70 to wack ground squirrels.

My load exeeds that of the 458, using Basic Brass.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

P-14 British Enfield (not a Lee Enfield) that I built a bunch of years ago.

Anybody want to see some of my other guns?

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

This link will remain live for the next 8 hours.

serial numbers have been blanked out..just a heads up.

Its not all of them...just some of them. Shrug.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

All the guns you lied about selling to your father so you could keep them away from your creditors.

"Chapter 13 looks to be closer to my requirements. And I dont have any guns anymore. I sold them to my dad. Along with my machinery. They are simply stored here. Got a bill of sale and everything. He got one hell of a deal."

Blacked out serial numbers and expiring link? No matter, putz, all contents downloaded and archived into a zip file suitable for emailing to any of your creditors who are tired of your excuses.

Reply to
Janglin

Oh! I thought he said they all fell out of a canoe into a river...

Reply to
Bud Frawley

Probably few if any receipts, and doesn't want his creditors to have details of specific assets they could ask a court to seize. Wieber has liens going back at least 36 years.

, and they will keep piling up. Posting those images makes it seem like he *wants* to lose the guns, or at least wants to complicate his life by taunting his creditors. But according this expert
people like Wieber are just plain stupid, a conclusion that Wieber has been dedicated to proving for his entire life.

Reply to
Mayla
  • User FidoNet address: 2:5000/111.9 Dear Gunner,

GA> Anybody want to see some of my other guns?

With great pleasure, very interesting.

Best regards,

Reply to
Andrey S.
  • User FidoNet address: 2:5000/111.9 Dear Gunner,

GA> I regularly use a mega 45-70 to wack ground squirrels. GA>

Nice rifle.

Best regards,

Reply to
Andrey S.