replacing chimney liner

I have a wood burnign insert with a double wall chimney pipe under vyinle chimney.

How hard would it be to replace it with tripple wall so I could use a stove? I assume the siding and plywood would have to come off the chimney.

Just trying to lower my propane bill this winter.

Reply to
stryped

A wood stove dealer in the area should be able to give you the best info since they sell the materials and should be familiar with construction in the area.

You might be able to get away with working from just the top and the bottom depending on how it's built currently. Most that I've seen rely on a bast fitting to support the vertical stack. The sections twist lock together so you might be able to access from the top and bottom and lower a new assembly in place from the top with a couple ropes from the base mount, assembling the upper sections as you lower it. Not something I've ever tried, but it seems workable.

Certainly if you're planning to heat with wood, make sure you have proper fire resistant materials in the vicinity of the stove per code, have a couple CO detectors (though not too close to the stove since that will cause false alarms) and the usual complement of smoke detectors and fire extinguishers. A proper metal ash bucket is also a necessity as an awful lot of people seem to set their homes on fire putting paper bags of "cool" ashes on their decks and whatnot.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.