REQ Help locating rollers

I have a need for some rollers to be used on the in/outfeed sides of a
woodworking machine.
Dimensions are 2 to 2-1/2" diameter X 25 inches long.
All the rollers I can find in internet searches which fit into this
size range are 'passive' in that the shaft is fixed and the roller is
turned by the material passing over/under it. This is not acceptable.
I need an 'active' roller, where the shaft and the roll are one unit
and when power is applied to the shaft the roll can be used to propel
material thru the machine.
I've heard that printing press rollers will fill the bill, but was
unable to locate enough information to let me know if this is true.
I've googled till I'm blue and the only ones I can find of the type I
need look more like small toy wheels rather than long rollers.
I know this isnt rocket science, but I'm a bit out of my element as
far as suppliers are concerned. Any suggestions out there for a
possible source?
real email: theboss at ridgeworks dot com
Reply to
Loading thread data ...
How about using the passive rollers with a driven belt laid over them?
Reply to
John Ings
Take a look at
formatting link
, they make custom rollers to your specs.
Ed Angell
Reply to
Ed Angell
Try a search for "gravity roller". What you are looking for is actually a powered gravity roller conveyor. Try this as one of many links.
formatting link
Reply to
John Manders
================================================ Are you looking to build a power feed like
formatting link
? Check page 989 in McMaster-Carr
formatting link
for some shaft-mountable cushion rollers.
If you're hoping to put powered rollers in the tables, keep in mind that there will not be enough friction between the roller and the bottom of the wood to add any significant push to the work. Powered rollers need to squeeze the wood between themselves and the machine.
Reply to
Joe Way
That would work but I'd steel need to locate a rolle that I can drive, which brings me back to the original problem I think :)
Reply to
No, I;'m looking to add power feed to a 25" wide drum sander, where the rollers will be an integral part of the machine. The rollers you pointed out come at 4" max, way too small.
Yes I'm aware of that. I plan to mount the rollers above the wood, and they will be spring loaded to keep pressure on the stock. That and the right choice of roller covering will move it right along. Thanks for your input :)
Reply to
Where are you located? Ive a bunch of urethane covered aluminum rollers, nice and tacky, with keyed ends. You make yur own shafting, and keyways, mount on pillow blocks (of which I have all sizes)
Located Taft, California, near Bakersfield
The methodology of the left has always been:
1. Lie 2. Repeat the lie as many times as possible 3. Have as many people repeat the lie as often as possible 4. Eventually, the uninformed believe the lie 5. The lie will then be made into some form oflaw 6. Then everyone must conform to the lie
Reply to
I'd probably think about scrounging the drive roller from an old treadmill and reworking the drive train somehow to slow the speed down.
Reply to
Tom Young
Hmm. We had something like that at the night job I used to work at, it was a feed module that mounted to an arm, and was used to pass parts through a shaper. The rollers were about 5 inches in diameter, and about the same wide.
But they also had a variety of other planers, and they had integral feed rollers - I would suggest you contact a woodworking tool manufacturer or specifically somebody who makes planers.
The small one we had was made in germany.
================================================== please reply to: JRR(zero) at yktvmv (dot) vnet (dot) ibm (dot) com ==================================================
Reply to
jim rozen
--Look for a kewl gadget called an Omni Wheel.
Reply to
Oh - that's a good idea. Just use the treadmill drive train - it uses a variable speed DC motor (and controller). If the speed range needs to be adjusted, the treadmills have a ribbed belt in the drive and the pulley sizes could be changed. IIRC, Chipmaker has a bunch of these. Maybe he could be talked out of a few, for the right price.
BTW, why do you need more than one driven roller? It seems to me that only the roller nearest the sanding belt would need to be powered. Isn't that the way the power feed on a thickness planer works? Well, one on the infeed and one on the outfeed.
Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

PolyTech Forum website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.