Rigger's nightmare

For your interest and edification, I present the following link:

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

--Good one! That first guy was something of a damn fool not to put out stabilizers...

Reply to
steamer

I think I do see a stabilizer in the third picture. Just too much for the truck, over reaching with the weight. I'd like to see a video of it. The pictures are probably taken from a video.

Lane

Reply to
Lane

Looks like the out-rigger / stabilizer slipped off of the rock. What is the truck gushing out right behind that out-rigger on its way down?

Reply to
Sunworshipper

"Sunworshipper" wrote: Looks like the out-rigger / stabilizer slipped off of the rock. What is the truck gushing out right behind that out-rigger on its way down? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I will guess that this was the scenario: The boom was just a little too short to get over the fallen car, so the operator placed his outrigger very close to the edge. As the car came out of the water its full weight caused the crane-truck to lean, making the outrigger slip off.

I'll bet the gushing liquid is diesel fuel.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Yep,

I was almost expect> For your interest and edification, I present the following link: >

Reply to
RoyJ

We were discussing this on the UK model engineering newsgroup, I think the fuel tank ruptured against the gray handrail on the quay side as the truck went over.

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes

LOL!

To quote grandfather in "Little Big Man" "Some days the magic works and some days it doesn't."

--RC

Sleep? Isn't that a totally inadequate substitute for caffine?

Reply to
rcook5

We think the truck registrations are Galway in Ireland.

The second truck is the proper tool for the job, given that the first truck was seriously misused.

Petr

Reply to
Peter A Forbes

Thanks for giving me a big laugh to end what has been a rather s**te full Friday.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

It looks like the first trouck *could* have done the job if the operator had a little more sense. It seems like the boom had enough capacity, other wise an overload check should have stopped it from lifting. I think if the truck had been backed up so the rear tires were a few feet from the edge and the heavy front of the truck was oposite the lift it would have worked. Probably need a couple ropes to the car being lifted to keep it parallel to the wall.

Pete C.

Peter A Forbes wrote:

Reply to
Pete C.

I think the liquid has a yellowish tinge and may well be from when the operator pissed himself while going over the edge.

Reply to
Steve Peterson

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 20:37:33 +0000 (UTC), Peter A Forbes calmly ranted:

I didn't see any fuel discoloration (rainbows) in the water to indicate any fuel or oil spill in any of those pics, though. Maybe it was the guy standing on the truck with the control box who lost his water. Hmmm...no, not yellow enough.

-- Friends Don't Let Friends Eat Turkey and Drive --

Reply to
Larry Jaques

My read on this is that the wall gave way. Look where the outrigger was placed and then in the picture next isn't there a large piece of the wall missing where the outrigger was resting? lg no neat sig line

Reply to
larry g

The entire contents of its diesel tank!

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

My take is the 'spillage' is actually a splash coming *up*. Ken.

Reply to
Ken Davey

guess the size of your tool really does matter?

Reply to
GMasterman

I tried to see if there were other interesting pages on that web site, but it looks like the owner really does not want viewers!

The Tagge's

Lifting sideways is not good when you're near capacity.

Reply to
ATP

On 20 Nov 2004 01:29:11 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (GMasterman) calmly ranted:

Nope, it's the way you use it. EVERY time. ;)