Rimless cartridge question

I mentioned earlier that .22 rimfires have ground glass in the primer and that they rely on the crimp to build up pressure. Or they did, 30 or 40 years ago, when I learned those things.

Wondering if they still use the glass, and what the current thinking is on crimping rimfire cartridges, I came across this informative piece from _American Rifleman_:

Maybe this will add to your store of knowledge. The story on crimping centerfires is full of arguments and opinions, but this is the clearest piece I've seen on rimfires.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

The .22 developed around 1845 from a lead ball in a percussion cap for indoor practice. The rim was soon added to eliminate slow and clumsy ramrod extraction. Being the first metallic cartridge, preceded by only the pinfire paper shotshell and a few dead-end caseless experiments, and meant as a toy it didn't have the strength or consume as much metal as 1860's military experience proved necessary.

It's NOT a good example to copy in any way. Cased ammunition wasn't substantially perfected until around 1870, and settled into the 'modern' form between 1890 and 1900.

Jim Wilkins

Thanks for the link Ed, I'll read it this evening. Eric

Reply to
etpm

Ah Ha! Gunner the gunsmith? Well why not, we have gunner the intrepid warrior, gunner the motorcycle racer, gunner the murderer (buries the bodies in the desert), gunner the banjo player, gunner the ear collector.

Unfortunately we lack gunner the truthful.

Reply to
Good Soldier Schweik

You are missing the point. It isn't the cartridge in the chamber that is the problem it is the cartridges in the magazine/cylinder that cause the problem. As I believe I've said, I've seen 44 Magnum revolvers lock up because the bullets move far enough that the bullets protrude from the cylinder.

Reply to
John B.

[ ... ]

O.K. The forth photo starting at the top (the third full blade photo) is what I have. Called a "black finished bayonet". Anyway, the suggestion that it went though an arsenal rebuild makes sense.

Thanks, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

[ ... ]

I think so. It was allowed to keep its bayonet because it was old enough for that, at least. (Age and country of origin both played into that.)

It is out of reach at the moment -- not down where I am typing this. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols