Rod Cutting

I am looking for a better faster way to cut or shear 304 stainless rod. From 1/8 upto maybe 3/8. Certainly 1/8, 3/16, 1/4 & 5/16. I need to
be able to maintain predictable lengths. Larger than 3/8 its probably just as easy to do it on the lathe, because I have to radius one end anyway.
The abrasive chop saw is the fastest I've tried in my shop, but the ends need a horrible amount of work. Bandsaw is slow and/or dangerous depending on setup.
I figured some sort of shear the cuts it with a scissoring action might work. I can't have the end bent over, but a burr that can be quickly removed on the belt grinder would be tolerable.
One of the neatest tools I've seen is a disk mounted on a hardy shank with various size holes. Then a matching disc was bolted to it free to rotate around a common center. In this case it was a shop made tool and the user seemed to only be doing hot cuts. The second disc had a protrusion he would strike with a hammer after inserting the rod. The rotation of the second disc would shear the rod. I'm not so sure something like that would work for cold cutting. I'm also not so sure I want to spend a day building a tool like that if there is something ready made available at a reasonable price.
Before folks say, "Just use a hacksaw," or "Why CAN'T you do it on the lathe?" I do a lot of these and time is important. If it was just once in a while and just a couple pieces it would be no big deal.
https://www.avg.com
On Saturday, March 6, 2021 at 4:05:28 PM UTC-5, Bob La Londe wrote:

Have you tried 3M Cubitron in your chop saw? I think that is the best way at a reasonable price. But the abrasive makes a huge difference. If you have not used 3M Cubitron try it.
Dan
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
I am looking for a better faster way to cut or shear 304 stainless rod. From 1/8 upto maybe 3/8. Certainly 1/8, 3/16, 1/4 & 5/16. I need to be able to maintain predictable lengths. Larger than 3/8 its probably just as easy to do it on the lathe, because I have to radius one end anyway.
The abrasive chop saw is the fastest I've tried in my shop, but the ends need a horrible amount of work. Bandsaw is slow and/or dangerous depending on setup.
I figured some sort of shear the cuts it with a scissoring action might work. I can't have the end bent over, but a burr that can be quickly removed on the belt grinder would be tolerable. ...
----------------------------
You might look into rebar cutters.
On 3/7/2021 10:31 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

I went back to cutting them on the bandsaw. I don't use the 4x6 much anymore so I set that one up for it. I didn't really want to change the blade on the 7x12 or the vertical. Still looking for a faster solution. It sounds like the tool I want is called a "rod parter."
I'm still playing with the idea of a rotating hammer shear. I might add that to my fun play time projects list. If it doesn't work I can modify it to go on one of the press, and if it still doesn't work, well then I'll have a hot shear for making rivets. LOL.
https://www.avg.com
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
I'm still playing with the idea of a rotating hammer shear. I might add that to my fun play time projects list. If it doesn't work I can modify it to go on one of the press, and if it still doesn't work, well then I'll have a hot shear for making rivets. LOL. ------------------------
Another idea: https://www.trick-tools.com/Rod_Shear_for_Scotchman_Porta_Fab_45_50514_CM_017400_SCT_1947
On Mon, 8 Mar 2021 06:38:40 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"

Or a CNC lathe with a bar feeder and a cutoff tool.
--
Cheers,

John B.
On Monday, March 8, 2021 at 6:38:49 AM UTC-5, Jim Wilkins wrote:

3D printed rivets might be best over time.

Band saw 2 at a time works. 3 they end up jumping out.
Randy Remove 333 to reply. Randy