RPMster drill press

At an auction last week, I bought a "Buffalo Forge RPMster drill press". You can kind of see it on the picture of the semi truck, that
I posted on Friday. Here's the manual for it
http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/129/3782.pdf
It looks great and is clearly a very good drill press. It also does not take a lot of room, even though it weighs a ton.
My question is, given what I do, does it make sense to keep it instead of selling, it is awfully nice for drilling larger holes. At the same time it is more dangerous due to power.

I consider quality tools as good as money in the bank. Use it while you need it, sell it when you need money for a profit. Machine tools appreciate faster than bank interest. maybe not as good as the stock market, but certainly a sefer investment.

I would hang on to it. As Karl said its like money in the bank. You can allways put a smaller motor on it if you have saftey concerns. Personaly i would find a VFD that has a torque control feature as well as speed controll. A set of annular cutters/drills and flood coolant would be an excellant addition to that drill press. I have been switching from standard drills to annular cutters and am very pleased, 1,2,3,4 inch holes no problem. The hole produced is high quality and has a reamed appearence and spot on size. Annular cutters are also applicable for use in a lathe, mill, or magnetic drill press.
Best Regards Tom.
--
http://fija.org/

I agree with both of you guys, I kind of like that DP as well and can always sell it.

This one actually is a 1.5 HP, as I learned today (I was at work)

Clamp with even smaller bits -- and do not ask why I think so

I have an auxillary foot switch that applies power when depressed, makes those challenging clamping setups safer. I also do a lot of direct drive tapping so having instant stop capability is critical.
Best Regards Tom.
"Howard Beal"

I also use a foot switch on the DP. Sure is nice for honing cylinders, in fact, the only safe way to do so!

Indeed, the universal foot switch is often overlooked as a shop essential. I made up several of them for use arround the shop. I even have a 220V version. I roll my own using solid state relays controlled by a low current microswitch. The relays are 25A at 600vac that i bought on ebay years ago. They last forever, been using the same ones for over 10 years without a single failure.
Best Regards Tom.

That's a wonderful thought for a RSN future project, guys.
I often have momentary use requirements of my little 1" belt sander and it sounds very handy for the drill press.
Since there are (mechanical) relays and momentaries here in stock, it's definitely on the next To-Do list.
--
It is characteristic of all deep human problems that they are
not to be approached without some humor and some bewilderment.

If you intend to use mechanical relays remember to use arc supression circuitry on the contacts since motors are inductive loads the contacts may arc and could weld shut and not turn off as intended. Its a rare occurance but i have heard of it happening.
Best Regards Tom.
--
http://fija.org/

Thanks, Tom. I think Gunner is going to bypass that with another addition to my goodie boxes coming this way.
--
It is characteristic of all deep human problems that they are
not to be approached without some humor and some bewilderment.

Thanks. Got an ETA for any one of the three? (files/rasps, 2.5" HDD, dual trace scope)
--
It is characteristic of all deep human problems that they are
not to be approached without some humor and some bewilderment.

Excellent. You didn't answer my last email asking about how your job search was faring, so I'm glad to hear it.
--
It is characteristic of all deep human problems that they are
not to be approached without some humor and some bewilderment.

Ugh. It was kinda fun when I was young, driving around picturesque Germany and going on the road with shows, but no joy at all servicing midwestern automotive factories with their always-hostile unions. -jsw

Not my answer to it. And you said you're reply more the next morning. No big.

What an uckfay eadhay.

EGAD! A 2k (4k RT) territory? Probably at minimum wage plus half what it costs in gas, right?

Absolutely not.

I hear ya.

That's cuz you're weird with a beard. I wonder how much difference the beard makes, given that half the girls 8 and over are half-tattooed nowadays, and 80% of the people being hired right now are either tacked back or semi-metallic, or both. I wonder how much trouble head hunters have with potential employees who sport Klingon implants and back lacings. http://www.dailynugget.com/2006/03/be-that-klingon-you-always-wanted/
http://bodyjewelryblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/corset-classic-variation1.jpg

Wow, preferring nights has to be a plus.

Redo your resume and downplay the road warrior portion, or simply state that you will no longer go on the road more than once a month or something, due, um, to horrible hemmorhoids or sumpin'.
--
It is characteristic of all deep human problems that they are
not to be approached without some humor and some bewilderment.

You got something against good size drill presses? I Love my Arboda Maskiner radial arm drill press. Now it does take a good clamp to hold a 2" drill bit from turning the part.
Karl

The drill press is not dangerous, YOU are.