SA-200 video

Would anyone hapen to know the part numbers for the plugs, wires and points?

Ignoramus6732

I have always been bad at gasoline engines.

I never liked stuff that requires "adjustments".

The CNC mill project, while challenging in many ways, required skills and strengths, that I actually have, such as ability to troubleshoot logical stuff, understand diagrams, and design control systems. That CNC conversion is a very straightforward matter, if I simply approach it systematically.

After my mill was made to work, CNC machining is all about computer programming and coordinate geometry and other math, which is, again, something with which I am comfortable. It is what I do most of my waking hours to make money.

Now, taking apart a carburetor and not losing stuff, fiddling with adjustments, etc is NOT and has never been my strong suit. I never really liked gas motors anyway.

Ignoramus6732

This looks like a pretty good manual

It has diagrams for carb and distributor. The gap setting for plugs and points is on page 45.

You might try cleaning and setting the gap for the plugs and points they may not need to be replaced. The missing under load suggests the point gap is too narrow or the plug gap too wide or a plug is fouled. With the spark plug out of the engine and the ignition turned on you can check the quality of the spark. You should be getting a nice blue/white spark that can jump a gap of about 3/8" that fires when the points open. You can time the engine by just slowly rotating the engine (in the direction it runs) The spark should fire as it passes the TDC mark. Since the engine is old and worn you might want to set the timing 1 or 2 degrees before it hits the DC mark. Page 47 shows how it is done with a timing light but on these engines it can be done just as accurately by turning the engine by hand.

-jim

Reply to
jim

That's a clever idea.

Ignoramus6732

"Ignoramus6732" wrote =

That would be the counter man at NAPA.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Some SA 200's have magnetos, some have distributors. In the case of a distributor model, they can be set as easily as the VW Beetle engine. Put a light tester on the wire coming out of the distributor, ground the other. Turn the engine by hand until the timing mark lines up. 1/8" more, and the light will either come on or go out. Tighten retaining bolt. Check again to make sure it hasn't moved. Not familiar with magneto versions. A real easy way to set VW ignitions, and most any other that has the external nut on the distributor. May take two people, or one person twice as long. On the VW, you can see the degree wheel and light at the same time.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?

Steve B

I was going to tell him that the numbers were 6 for plugs, 6 for wires, and points come in pairs, but I didn't think it would be as helpful as he was expecting, so I didn't.

-- Not merely an absence of noise, Real Silence begins when a reasonable being withdraws from the noise in order to find peace and order in his inner sanctuary. -- Peter Minard

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Thanks. The bad news is that I found it today leaking fuel through the oil bath air filter. So, something is not right.

I will pull it off ebay, and will do a complete carb rebuild and an ignition system tuneup, as well.

Ignoramus25197

You can see the coil, so his has a distributor.

-jim

Reply to
jim

float needle is leaking. Does it have a filter between the tank and carb? If it doesn't it would be a good idea to add an inline fuel filter or the carb needle leaking will become a recurring problem.

-jim

Reply to
jim

It does have that filter. Regardless, there is so much crud in the system, it needs a thorough cleaning.

Ignoramus25197

Yes, I will get all the parts this week and will do a rebuild next weekend.

Ignoramus25197

Say Iggy..I didnt realize you were Jewish!

Interesting yarmulke you are wearing. I dont think Ive ever seen one that color before.

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Geeze, that carburetor repair must have stressed him much more than we knew. He experienced considerable traction alopecia there.

IG: Doesn't your welder have an auto-idle governor bellows mechanism? Yours really slows down with a weld going, like the guv ain't woikin.

-- From the Book of Aussie Bush Etiquette:

Never tow another car using pantyhose and duct tape.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I won't tell him if you won't. ;)

-- Nobody, as long as he moves about among the chaotic currents of life, is without trouble. -- Carl Jung

Reply to
Larry Jaques