satin chrome dials?

Got a nice machine, but the engraved lines and numbers on the hand dials are hard to read. Is it practical to get these "satin-chromed", like the nice clear ones almost universal now?

Jordan

Reply to
Jordan

I've used cold blue and white lacquer stick to get readable markings in similar situations. If you can find a plater, I'm sure you can get them chromed. Brownell's has both lacquer sticks and Oxphoblue. If you do go ahead with satin chrome, they've also got black(or red) lacquer sticks.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

Thanks Stan Good idea - think I'll try that instead. I've got some gun blue to make the dark background, but can't find any Lacquer Stik on this island. Know of an alternative? Paint?

Jordan

Reply to
Jordan

Paint sticks work best and you can find these at bigger stationary stores. If can't find them then liquid paper will work, but doesn't last as long.

An enamel paint will work, but it is a time consuming task with a small brush and lots of wiping. The wiping tends to drag the paint out of the grooves so each line often has to be hit several times.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Don't use a brush, use a thin needle and dip it in the paint. Same type of technique you use with paint chips on a vehicle

Reply to
Steve W.

Clear 2-part epoxy mixed with the powdered colors does a good job. It's solvent proof when cured and lasts along time.

Randy

Reply to
Randal O'Brian

If worst comes to worst..use regular old office type correction fluid..Ie White Out. Avaiable at the 99c stores for ...99c.

Clean well, then brush it into the grooves with the handy included applicator brush..let dry then buff off the over paint with a bit of cloth stretched tightly on a popsicle stick.

Works nicely for bringing out the writing on firearms and for painting a front sight. A bit fragile..but easy to touch up and cheap.

Gunner

Political Correctness

Gunner

I have colorfilled thousands of engraved namebadges and plates My method was simple. You want paint that will adhere to the rough engraving but not the smoothe face of the device. Nitrocellulose lacquer is best in my experience. Paint it over the whole surface and really work it into the parts you want colored. Immediatlely blot the item many time onto a fresh sheet of newsprint. Some people use old phonebooks. Let dry overnight or at least

4 hours and just take a strip of scotch tape and remove the residue.
Reply to
daniel peterman

if they are steel dials, you can get them electroless nickel plated, will come put that nice satin finish your looking for. If you grit blast before plating they will have even less glare.

Brownells sells supplies, or you can give them to a local plater or gunshop.

Reply to
Tony

Would grit blasting risk dulling the engravings?

Reply to
Jordan

not if you use fine grit or glass beads, and are gentle with it.

Reply to
Tony

On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 20:39:11 +1100, with neither quill nor qualm, Jordan quickly quoth:

Your local tire shop might have those yellow/orange paint sticks they use to mark tires. Wrecking yards use them for parts marking, too.

Hmm, .au, wot? Would markers down there be on the other side of the colour wheel? Instead of yellow/orange, your guys might use a blue/violet marker. ;)

- Woodworkers of the world, Repent! Repeat after me: "Forgive Me Father, For I Have Stained and Polyed."

-
Reply to
Larry Jaques

Now that's just silly. Everyone knows the colors are the same, the people in Australia just have to hold the bottle upside down or the paint drips up onto the ceiling...

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

What do you think - we're dumb? Obviously I'd get in a centrifuge before painting. Season's greetings Jordan

Reply to
Jordan