Scarfing with O/A

Hello all, Im new to the forum but I could really use a little help. After putting a piece of plate steel in just the wrong place I'm obligated to remove it and re-attatch. Its flat welded to 3/16 wall rec tube. I'm told the best tool for removal is a scarfing tip for my O/A torch. I'm proficient at cutting with the torch but I was hoping for some more specific scarfing advice.

-------------------------------------

Forums Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - rec.crafts.metalworking - 221634 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
manrikifighter

I guess I haven't heard of this tip. I have often cut the welds off to save steel pieces and salvage. To do this I use a #2 tip (for 2 inch thick steel) and point right down the weld. Once you get it going you can zip right along. There will be spots you have to finish with a nine inch side grinder.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Cool tip- never heard of one before

Dave

Reply to
Dave__67

Can you simply cut the plate loose with a sabre saw and weld on a new one in the proper place?

Gunner

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Ive got a few scarfing tips and they indeed do work, but with 3/16" tubing..it doesnt take much to simply melt a hole in the side of it

Gunner

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

An angle grinder instead of a torch, may minimize the amount of metal lost, and you may be able to select from which piece (perhaps better to grind away more of the plate, instead of the tubing, for example).

You visualize where the fusion area is, near the penetration point, and grind into the weld, toward that zone. Even if you leave a very small amount of fusion intact, tapping along the joining line with a chisel will separate the parts, which can be cleaned/dressed up with a file or other method.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

SHOOT! I got several of these. I always wondered why the heck somebody bought a bunch of bent tips. I learned something today, don't happen every day

karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Ain't it da truth!

Reply to
cavelamb

They are one of the tools that just sit in the box until needed, and then are a pure joy. They work super.

Steve

visit my blog at

Steve B

They generally have 3 holes in them, make sure they are cleaned out well before firing them up.

Its damned surprising how well they work when burning off rivets and such.

But Ive burned into the parent metal a few times being too gentle with them. Heat, burn off whatever it is you are trying to get rid of and dont be tender about it.