screw machine tooling liquidation

I am meeting with a company to help liquidate tooling and accessories for screw machines. Most of what they have is Wickman and Brown and sharp machines. Large drills, counter bores, collets, gears, cams and what ever else they are dumping. What is the market like on this stuff? Just a general question but it might be 20,000 pounds or more of Stuff.

Reply to
Wayne Makowicki

At least around here, screw machines aren't worth much more than scrap weight.

Tooling is allways worth something. Large tooling actually goes cheaper than samaller stuff that HSM types can use. I'd check Ebay for selected items, it has become the standard for used parts value.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Wayne..first question...how much are the scrappers paying for steel in your area?

There is not a hell of a lot of market, except perhaps for the B&S parts. Ive cross posted this to alt.machines.cnc, where there are a number of B&S users.

I have a number of customers whom still have a few Brownies running, and they may be interested in spare parts or complete machines for breaking into spares.

As to the tooling..Id have to say its largely worth scrap value. CNC for the most part has done away with a lot of the old large tooling/form tooling etc.

Now Ive not seen the stuff in question, so Im only giving you a general answer that may not be 100% applicable to your situation.

Its possible you may find someone who can export to Mexico, where there is Some interest in this stuff, but they tend to buy it at scrap value as well.

What is your location? It does make a difference as to how desireable some of this stuff is. Shrug.

Some of the folks here, may be interested in knee tools, etc etc but....20k pounds of the stuff is pretty tough to get rid of.

I cringe when I look into rusting 55gal barrels behind some machine shops and see the 1000s of pounds of at one time hugely expensive tooling rusting away..but thats economics.

Then there is Ebay. YMMV

Gunner

"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." --Japanese Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Reply to
Gunner