ER40, 1/32" Collet

What does someone do when they need to hold a very small drill in their ER40 Collet - let's say 1/32" I am familiar with circuit board drills with the

1/8" shank, but I noticed that ER40 doesn't go small enough...

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
V8013-R
Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

I drill a hole in a 4mm centerless ground shaft, and crimp or Lock-tite the drill in place. A lathe chuck is great for putting a even

3-sided crimp on the tip of the shaft. =20

--=20

-JN-

Reply to
J. Nielsen

Or Jeez Louise, they could buy an ER11 holder that is especially made for those teeny sizes.

We have some ER11 holders with 1" shanks. We put them in 1" end mill holders for the small stuff.

Reply to
Tom Accuosti

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in news:xc5bg.7361$Go6.2546@trnddc04:

Joe,

What you want to do is call American QC Systems at 941-753-7557 and have them send you info on their Quick change tooling system for ER collets.

They sell a product as a quick change tooling system that also serves to adapt down to a smaller size ER collet. The idea is that you set a drill or boring bar offline in say an ER16 collet chuck. The ER16 collet chuck has a solid shank in the shape of an ER20 collet. The ER20 collet chuck is set at a known position in the machine, so by presetting the length offline you eliminate the need to touch off or otherwise set the tool in the machine.

In the case of an ER40 they offer an adaption down to ER25 as an off the shelf item. But if you talk to them they may be willing to do an ER11 or an ER8 adaption as a special. I don't know for sure. They are a fairly young company as far as this product goes, but it's a clever idea that works well in screw machines.

The downside is that it adds to the overall gage length of the holder. And you are reducing the capacity of the collet chuck in the machine by at least one size. IOW, ER20-->ER16. But often with small drills that can be an advantage.

Before this product came along I would normally buy an ER8 straight shank collet chuck and chuck it in the ER40 adapter. Having an adapter that's the shape of the ER40 collet leaves less room for run out error, IMO.

Reply to
D Murphy

The answer ought to be obvious. Use a 1" ER40 collet to hold a 1" straight shank adapter for a smaller collet chuck - like maybe ER-11 or 16.

KG

Reply to
Kirk Gordon

I know - we have one of those - but this was a solution for a fast one off job.

Reply to
Jan Nielsen

Joe:

We often put a micro keyless drill chuck with a 1/2" shank in the ER holder.

Reply to
BottleBob

A big "thank you" to everyone who gave answers... I figured there were ways to stick a smaller tool holder into the larger ER-style collets, but wondered if there were actually suppliers for micro-ER collets in the larger ER series.

For the one guy who said it should seem obvious - I forgive you.

Special thanks to Dan Murphy who pointed me towards those special adapters.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
V8013-R
Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Dan, my man, every time I turn around you've got a tooling advantage. Especially for swiss machines. You wouldn't happen to have something so convenient as, say, a spreadsheet of tooling suppliers like the (limited) one Rem gave us 5 years ago? I wouldn't want to trouble you to put something together if you don't have it already, but I remembered the list that Rem used to supply, and thought that you might have something on a larger scale.

Just wondering, really, and thought others here could use that kind of info as well. Searching, selecting, testing, and refining the tooling that is used for every job has become an extremely time consuming process for us. We're constantly looking for something better, faster, lasts longer, cheaper, whatever.

Thanks.

Reply to
Bryce

Bryce wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Unfortunately I don't have a spreadsheet put together. It's on my rather long list of things to do...

Pretty soon we will be taking the first steps to ease the tooling issue.

The guy in charge of the deal used to be in charge of the Harrison, Nardini, and Alliant products, so he has a lot to learn. Right now he has some irrelevant stuff on there that has more to do with his expertise than Swiss. But that will change over time.

It seems some Swiss tooling suppliers are a little reluctant to work with us at the moment. Hopefully that will change.

Reply to
D Murphy

Thanks, I'll have to check on that from time to time.

Reply to
Bryce