Screwdriver handles - what kind of plastic?

Just struck me - that stuff is really durable; I have in the past abused them as prybars, drifts, scrapers, etcetera - and often with a hammer. That plastic might be useful - what is it?

Reply to
_

Traditionally they have always been Tenite 1 or Tenite 2...Cellulose acetate or cellulose acetate butyrate.

I believe ABS has replaced the old fashioned stinky Tenite material..used to smell like old socks when it was heated, and was attacked by gasoline.

Reply to
Grunty Grogan

I cleaned a carb the other day with some gas and a tooth brush. The bristles started coming off right away, so I switched to a parts brush. I forgot and left he toothbrush in the gas. The next day, it was half its size, limp, and really a fuzzy mess. I took a hemostat and lifted it out of the gas and dropped it on the sand. It dried out in a day, and really was a mess. The little plastic tub I used to wash the parts in was unfazed.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB