Search term need for Radial Arm Saw, table bolt.

Hi guys, I'm rebuilding my Radial Arm Saw, mostly the table, but need to purchase the part in this picture. What is it called?

Thanks, Mikek

Reply to
amdx

The screw with the flattened end is a Thumbscrew, but the whole unit looks custom-machined for that saw instead of assembled from standard parts.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

According to this page

it's a 'table clamp'; clearly, the old one has failed, so why would you want an identical replacement? It's time to design and build something... Me, I'd think of wood wedges and a spot of glue.

Reply to
whit3rd

Actually I wanted the search term so I could find one with a 1/4" thumbscrew instead of the 3/16" of the original. On the other hand it least 30 years and maybe 40 so not so bad

Mikek.

btw, I did find a good repair for the broken one, and I found a beam clamp that I can make a decent 1/4" one out of, so I got it covered. Even found a service manual that matches, apparently Ryobi made B&D Radial Arm Saws back then.

Reply to
amdx

That part appears to be simple enough to functionally copy without machine tools. The upright part could be a cross-drilled and tapped threaded rod coupler with a stub of rod Loctited into the upper end. If there's clearance the adjusting screw could be a socket head cap screw with a plastic knurled knob from a good hardware store pressed on. The swivel pad could be done with some filing skill, a washer and a ball pein hammer.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Go to your storage shelf and look for Really Old Shit Box #3. There you'll find an old spot-welded C clamp, probably 3". Cut the screw side leg 1/2" long, weld a stud on it, add a couple washers and a nut. Now you have your motor tension clamp. (SWAG)

Larry Jaques

I have several available. Usually 2 come with a RAS. Does yours require a nut or use a keyhole style connection?

Reply to
bnwelch

You all will be relieved to know,:-) my part problem is solved. While talking with a buddy about replacing the tabletop on my RAS, he said I have at tabletop that I took off of my RAS, He has a Craftsman that had a safety recall, Craftsman sent him a new table, table brackets and new blade shield. So, when I picked up the tabletop, he said and look here, he had the brackets with the table clamps I needed, and they were 1/4" not the feeble 3/16" ones I have. Now If I can just get it aligned. Wrote that earlier, I now have it aligned well enough to have cut several pieces of vinyl siding. When I finish my porch, I expect to build the table shown in one of the links I posted above in this thread. Metal strengthened table with adjustable fence. Thanks all, Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Did you consider how you might have made these things you need but couldn't buy?

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Yes, considered it. Usually if you consider your labor, it's cheaper to buy something that costs $10 or $15 than to make it. So I looked to buy one. I posted on Monday, by Wednesday, I had better than the original part.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx