Table and BOM symbols

Hi there,

  1. I have a sheet metal and I have cut a hole and a rectangular slot. I have named these 2 features in part file (setup - name- feature). When I create a repeat region in drawing I am not able to get those features updated in BOM. Can any body tell me how do I go about this?

  1. How to insert a userdefined symbol? I have not used this before and don't know the usage of this.

Thanks in advance, Shankar.

Reply to
Shankar Venkateswaran

First, Shankar, a BOM (Bill of Materials) is a parts list. It is meant to list the parts of an assembly, with balloons attached to each part to connect the list to the picture. It doesn't seem that your example falls in this category. Can't see how you'd get a BOM out of some feature names.

Another thing that tables can be used for is listing family table instances and parameters, for example, to list the distributors of all socket head cap screws, whose names are contained in a parameter called VENDORS. Then, the report setup will let you create a repeat region with fam.inst.param.name (or value or id) and let you pick from a list of parameter names. This will give you each instance number plus the vendor name in a table. You can include a bunch of other things in such a table, like description, purchase price and all such information from each instance of the family table will be listed. But, again with just a single part, your example doesn't sound like you have a family table.

There is also a specialized type of table called a hole chart which can list holes by size, giving you the ability to label the holes (A1,A2,A3.... B1,B2, etc.) so that they are linked with sizes and positions in the chart.

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't see what you need a table for or what, beyond what you can accomplish with normal annotation through dimensions and notes, you expect this table to accomplish. : : 2. How to insert a userdefined symbol? I have not used this before and : don't know the usage of this.

'Insert>Drawing Symbol>Custom' You can then either create a symbol with the New button or pick from the list of recently used ones from the drop down or click Browse to look for other symbols.

You could also do 'Insert>Drawing Symbol>From Palette'. If you created a drawing where you have placed your collection of frequently used symbols, including any you've created yourself and then pointed to this drawing file with the config.pro option symbol_instance_palette_file, 'Insert>Drawing Symbol>From Palette' will open this drawing and let you copy symbols that are not just names in list but the symbols themselves.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes