Weld Symbols are not working properly!

I havnt used the weldment feature yet. But when I build and mate an assembly of components or structural from he toolbox, I create a print of the assembly. Then I simply highlight the line where I want the weld symbol. And then inseet, annotation, weld symbol and the box pops up for weld symbol information. You fill it in and OK..Its done and pointing to the line I originally picked. That was 2004. I tried this with 2005 today after finishing a new assembly. First off, the line will not highlight like it did in 2004. Second, when I create the weld symbol information box and hit OK,,,the compu sits for a few seconds and crashes. I am using a killer workstation with a quadro500. I reinstalled all my templates because I have had them get corrupted in other situations. No fix. I then give my files to another engineer and he tries it. His system crashes. He then opens up some older drawings that he had weld symbols in already and tries to put more symbols in. His system crashes again. I called up my VAR and they were getting in touch with Solidworks as they have not heard of this problem. I have never in 4 years had a problem putting in Weld symbols. Has something changed. The process?? I keep my computer very clean (temp files, defrag. etc.) and can usually work thru thesee issues myself. The only way I can create a weld symbol is to just not try to hightlight anything. Just insert, annotation, weld symbol...and then I can create it. But it ends up someplace else on the print. I then have to drag the arrow to the line and he symbol itself into position. Then it dosnt stay there in place. Im at a loss.Any takers...TIA...Jake Barron

Reply to
Jake

I just tried it here and it works fine. I opened a drawing that I had started, clicked on the edge of a part, went to Insert/Annotation/Weld symbol and filled in a few values. The symbol is there and appears to work properly. SW2005 SP0, WinXP Pro.

  1. Have you tried it on a new drawing with only a simple part in it?
  2. How about on a drawing with just a line in it?
  3. How about right in the assy?
  4. Have your VAR try it on your files.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

I had mixed results, sometimes working, sometimes crashing. I tried it with a new SW5 drawing and brought one in from SW4. Mixed results with either. SW2005 SP0, Win2000

Reply to
Davis

Solidworks Corp has replied that this is the "new" way for weld symbols to work. You do not click on the line to highlight it. You just go to insert, annotation, weld symbol, set your parameters, and drag the arrow and symbol where you want it. Why they would do this I dont know. I sure did like the

2004 process alot better. Jake Barron
Reply to
Jake