Self Centering Vise - Cheap

I asked about this sometime back and I seem to recall the cheap ones
like this were not reported to repeat all that well.

How bad was not that well? A couple thousandths? A couple hundreds? A
couple inches?
When I drill hinge pin holes in molds I've got them laid out so the
position isn't all that critical. The closer to "prefect" it is the
prettier it looks when open, but it will open and close just fine with
it pretty far off. A few to several thousandths might not even be
noticeable to most people. If I could drop a 1" thick mold in and then
go to a 1.5" or 2" and always be within a few thousandths of the
original located center I'd be pretty happy with it.
I'd remove the swivel base and machine off those stupid ears so I could
just drop it in a vise on the table of course.
I've been doing more and more hinged molds lately, and the time to setup
and drill hinge pins adds up. Well, along with setting alignment pins,
and putting on handles, etc, etc.
I'm at that point where I am exploring acceptable tolerances in order to
maximize productive use of time. Hinges can be sloppy if alignment pins
are close. Alignment pins go in faster if a starting lead and a press
fit are both machined in before it comes out of the vise. My bigger
machines are faster for major roughing, and if I plan the job well the
high speed machines can do the detail work faster, etc etc etc...
Reply to
Bob La Londe
The larger version of that vise (Grizzly H7576 centering vise) is pretty bad. I've purchased perhaps 10 of them. The first couple were quite good for the money, the most recent have been crap. There was .080 - .100 end play in the screws, so a hole could be off-center by at least .040-.050. I had to make & install thrust washers to make them usable. Oh yeah, the end plates were not screwed on tightly so they could squirm to accommodate the wonky journals on the ends of the screw. The jaws are shimmed with newspaper to make their faces parallel.
I wrote a review with my observations, Grizzly refused to post it. As a test, I created a fake account and wrote a glowing review of some tool I had never purchased. That one went up right away .
Reply to
Ned Simmons
Have you tried the more expensive name brand versions? Where they worth it?
Shimmed with newspapers? Did they come that way?
The larger version of that vise (Grizzly H7576 centering vise) is pretty bad. I've purchased perhaps 10 of them. The first couple were quite good for the money, the most recent have been crap. There was .080 - .100 end play in the screws, so a hole could be off-center by at least .040-.050. I had to make & install thrust washers to make them usable. Oh yeah, the end plates were not screwed on tightly so they could squirm to accommodate the wonky journals on the ends of the screw. The jaws are shimmed with newspaper to make their faces parallel.
I wrote a review with my observations, Grizzly refused to post it. As a test, I created a fake account and wrote a glowing review of some tool I had never purchased. That one went up right away .
Reply to
Bob La Londe
Obviously cheaply made if news paper was used, a proper job would have used Rizla cigarette paper
. Used in the past as an indicator by machinists to show the tool was at the work surface as they're very thin.
Reply to
David Billington
Yes, every one came with shims behind the jaws. I would never have known except these aren't used as vises. I make them into work rests for gun drills & deep hole hones, in effect adjustable v-blocks. The stock jaws get pitched and replaced with custom jaws. Which reminds me, the jaw fastening screws seem to be in a different location in every batch of vises.
I've looked for alternatives but haven't used them. The prices on those I've found are much higher. Maybe if there's a next time. I've had it with Grizzly.
Reply to
Ned Simmons
Thanks I'll bear that in mind, I was thinking of binning my compact cassettes for the camcorder as it's obsolete these days but from what you say the tape might be worth keeping a few for other uses. I binned a bunch of new unopened quality cassette tapes some years back and only
Reply to
David Billington
Are you guys giving Griz the feedback on this every time? What do they say? What is their actual policy on it?
Reply to
Larry Jaques
Before writing the review I pointed out the problems to customer service more than once in the hope that they'd address the issues and that future units would be as good as the first few I purchased.
Compare the angry comments on Grizzly's Facebook page to the almost exclusively positive reviews on their website and it's pretty obvious they're censoring the reviews. At least Harbor Freight doesn't hide their warts.
Reply to
Ned Simmons

Site Timeline