Self Centering Vise - Cheap

I asked about this sometime back and I seem to recall the cheap ones like this were not reported to repeat all that well.
https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-2-Mini-Self-Centering-Vise-with-Swivel-Base/T10253?id=YWxhcm1fd2l6YXJkQGhvdG1haWwuY29t&utm_source=email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaignaturedspecial-060516_box4
How bad was not that well? A couple thousandths? A couple hundreds? A couple inches?
When I drill hinge pin holes in molds I've got them laid out so the position isn't all that critical. The closer to "prefect" it is the prettier it looks when open, but it will open and close just fine with it pretty far off. A few to several thousandths might not even be noticeable to most people. If I could drop a 1" thick mold in and then go to a 1.5" or 2" and always be within a few thousandths of the original located center I'd be pretty happy with it.
I'd remove the swivel base and machine off those stupid ears so I could just drop it in a vise on the table of course.
I've been doing more and more hinged molds lately, and the time to setup and drill hinge pins adds up. Well, along with setting alignment pins, and putting on handles, etc, etc.
I'm at that point where I am exploring acceptable tolerances in order to maximize productive use of time. Hinges can be sloppy if alignment pins are close. Alignment pins go in faster if a starting lead and a press fit are both machined in before it comes out of the vise. My bigger machines are faster for major roughing, and if I plan the job well the high speed machines can do the detail work faster, etc etc etc...
The larger version of that vise (Grizzly H7576 centering vise) is pretty bad. I've purchased perhaps 10 of them. The first couple were quite good for the money, the most recent have been crap. There was .080 - .100 end play in the screws, so a hole could be off-center by at least .040-.050. I had to make & install thrust washers to make them usable. Oh yeah, the end plates were not screwed on tightly so they could squirm to accommodate the wonky journals on the ends of the screw. The jaws are shimmed with newspaper to make their faces parallel.
I wrote a review with my observations, Grizzly refused to post it. As a test, I created a fake account and wrote a glowing review of some tool I had never purchased. That one went up right away <g>.

Ned Simmons

Have you tried the more expensive name brand versions? Where they worth it?
Shimmed with newspapers? Did they come that way?
"Ned Simmons" wrote in message wrote:

--
Ned Simmons

On 11/06/2019 17:08, Bob La Londe wrote:

Obviously cheaply made if news paper was used, a proper job would have used Rizla cigarette paper https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rizla . Used in the past as an indicator by machinists to show the tool was at the work surface as they're very thin.

VHS tape is a cheap alternative. The tape on the spool in my toolbox is .0008" thick.

Ned Simmons

On 11/06/2019 21:40, Ned Simmons wrote:

Thanks I'll bear that in mind, I was thinking of binning my compact cassettes for the camcorder as it's obsolete these days but from what you say the tape might be worth keeping a few for other uses. I binned a bunch of new unopened quality cassette tapes some years back and only

Yes, every one came with shims behind the jaws. I would never have known except these aren't used as vises. I make them into work rests for gun drills & deep hole hones, in effect adjustable v-blocks. The stock jaws get pitched and replaced with custom jaws. Which reminds me, the jaw fastening screws seem to be in a different location in every batch of vises.
I've looked for alternatives but haven't used them. The prices on those I've found are much higher. Maybe if there's a next time. I've had it with Grizzly.

Ned Simmons

Are you guys giving Griz the feedback on this every time? What do they say? What is their actual policy on it?
--
If more sane people were armed,
crazy people would get off fewer shots.

--