shaping sheet metal

How do I go about shaping a flat sheet of aluminium/steel into a box/tray. I want to make a square box but I don't want seams on the edges and corners. I know it can be done on a hydraulic press but I don't have access to one or the finances to get a company to do it for me. What sort of thickness would I be looking at before the job becomes to difficult by hand.? Any help would be gratefully received.

Gadget

Reply to
Gadget

Some sorts of welding, done well and finished well, can yield invisible seams.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Can't weld decent neat joints and can't afford to pay a guy either. I have asked a couple local companies. I live in London, UK if anyone wants to offer.

Gadget

Reply to
Gadget

Then some numbers would be handy. The answers for an aluminium foil box a couple of centimeters wide and a millimeter deep will be very different from an inch thick stainless steel tray 5m*5m*1m deep.

Reply to
Ian Stirling
"

Out of both metals, the size of the trays/boxes will vary from 10 * 10 * 5 cm right up to 1.5 * 1.5 * 0.4 metres. This may include the odd rectangle tray/box depending on the results.

Gadget

Reply to
Gadget

Hi Gadget,

If you must talk in that horrible metric stuff talk in engineer's language = mm thanks. oldcramo

Reply to
Glenn Cramond