Sharpening HSS Parting Blades

Aha. A 3" cut is a long one to do with a Dremel. If you're just doing a few, and if you're patient, no problem. But if you have to do a lot of them, you may find that method to be too slow and tedious for such cuts. For jobs like that, I use my die grinder and bigger wheels.

Or, if the cut is straight, I'll cut part way through with the Dremel, put the blade in a vise, and whack off the waste part at the cut line, using a big chisel to break it. Then I grind the edge smooth with a bench grinder.

If you haven't used those little SiC Dremel wheels, please observe this caution: The wheels shatter easily, if you twist the Dremel out of line even slightly. WEAR EYE PROTECTION! Those little bits can do serious damage to your eyes.

But for short cuts, they're awfully handy. I use those little wheels a lot. They're pretty cheap and very effective.

Good luck!

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I've re-purposed old hacksaw blades for other uses too. Noticed that the back of the blade is sometimes different acting material than the front (toothed side):

"Bimetal blades are made with a high-speed steel cutting edge that is welded to a spring steel blade back."

Some blades (carbon?) seem to be softer, less springy on the back side. May just have been the particular blade I was using, but you may want to keep this in mind if you get unexpected results...

Reply to
Leon Fisk

I've not been able to find the silicon-carbide cutoff wheels you mentioned. Only grinding stones.

Perhaps an angle grinder is better for this?

Thanks.

Darren Harris Staten Island< New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

I've not been able to find the silicon-carbide cutoff wheels you mentioned. Only grinding stones.

[reply]

Hmm. I think they have them at the local Home Depot, here in Edison. Do you ever cross the bridge to shop over here? A lot of Staten Islanders seem to. (The toll on the Outerbridge Crossing is now a killer, however.)

I'll check at HD tomorrow and see if they still have them. They' a little over 1" in diameter, if my memory is correct. You get a whole stack of them in a little plastic tube.

Perhaps an angle grinder is better for this?

[reply]

Personally, I wouldn't use one for that job, but maybe someone else knows about using thin cutoff wheels in an angle-head grinder.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

(...)

I prefer these EZ-Lock style abrasive disks. They take little time to mount and dismount.

I do that all the time. It works great! Use lots of ventilation though. The grit flying off the wheel is nasty stuff.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

"Searcher7" wrote

-I've not been able to find the silicon-carbide cutoff wheels you

-mentioned. Only grinding stones.

-Perhaps an angle grinder is better for this?

-Darren Harris

I just break the blade. Clamp the section you want to use in the vise horizontally, hold a steel block against the vise jaw and protruding part at a small angle and hit the block with a hammer. The block concentrates the force at the edge of the jaws and more or less shears off the blade.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

(...)

I prefer these EZ-Lock style abrasive disks. They take little time to mount and dismount.

I do that all the time. It works great! Use lots of ventilation though. The grit flying off the wheel is nasty stuff.

--Winston

The EZ-Lock looks pretty slick. How do they perform compared to the regular cheapies?

Reply to
Ed Huntress

(...)

They perform about as well as the plain-arbor discs.

One caveat for those of us that are um. economically oriented is that one cannot use the EZ Lock discs down to the same tiny diameter to which one can use the less expensive plain-arbor style.

Rumor has it that if you should happen to (cough) drop the nose of the tool on to the floor, the dented EZ Lock can be time-consuming to remove.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

.

..

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Ok, I assume that these are what you are referring to for use in a Dremel:

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York

Reply to
Searcher7

Ok, I assume that these are what you are referring to for use in a Dremel:

======================================================================= [rep;y]

Yup. Those are the ones. You need a mandrel, if you don't already have one.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Ok, I assume that these are what you are referring to for use in a Dremel:

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York

BTW, I checked HD for those wheels and they're $10 for a pack of 20. So your online deals will be better if the shipping doesn't eat up the difference.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Will this work?

Steve Walker

I think I have one of those plastic cutting tools somewhere. But I hated using it on plexiglass because it was difficult getting it to stay against the straight edge when cutting.

I was at Home Depot today, and couldn't figure out what kind of blade you were referring to for a Stanley utility knife.

I saw drywall, roofing, hook, carton, snap-off, and utility blades. What exactly should I be looking for?

Thanks.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

Ok. I'll just try the "Heavy Duty" blades I saw.