Sherline lathe headstock bearings?

Anybody have dimension specs on the headstock bearings in a Sherline lathe? I'd like to purchase them locally if I can, partly to save money, mostly to save time (4 days shipping from California to Indianapolis). Can't find specs anywhere on Sherline's web site, or anywhere else, for that matter.

TIA...

Reply to
Doug Miller

Take out the bearings and have the parts house run the numbers and buy the best grade there is. I have changed lots of bearings and all have numbers. They are easy to measure if necessary.

BOb AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

Did you call Sherline and ask for info on the part you're looking for?

Sherline Products Inc., 3235 Executive Ridge, Vista, CA 92081-8527, USA Phone: (800) 541-0735 or (760) 727-5857 · Fax: (760) 727-7857· E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@sherline.com

Reply to
BeenThereDoneThat

Remember to dial in that 0.0002" (Two Tenths) preload.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

designation 6004ZZ see

regards dan pines sherline distributer, israel

Reply to
dan pines

Thanks, yes, I know I can do that -- but I wanted to find out what the size was first, to see if they were in stock locally. If I'm going to have to wait for parts to be ordered anyway, I might as well buy direct from Sherline.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I did. Perhaps the people I talked to weren't up to speed, but they told me they didn't have dimensions.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Yep, been there already:

"If the spindle spins freely with a chuck or faceplate on it, it is too loose for normal work. Adjust the preload nut until it turns approximately one and a half revolutions when spun by hand."

Reply to
Doug Miller

Perfect! Thanks, Dan, I figured that had to be on Sherline's site somewhere, but I just couldn't find it for some reason. Brain farts, maybe.

I'll phone our local bearing distributor in a few minutes when they open up.

Thanks again. That's exactly what I wanted.

Reply to
Doug Miller