Shifting quality strategy from China

It doesn't matter. They have a federal obligation to help you, especially if you complain to them in writing and mail the complaint to the special address for billing problems. Furthermore it's up to the card issuer to prove that your complaint is wrong, not up to you to prove that it's right.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Thanks. Will give it a try.

Reply to
Wayne Lundberg

Thanks... looks like an approach that might work.

Reply to
Wayne Lundberg

It's in the electronics, and I'm simply not qualified to look at an integrated circuit and even if I did, I would need parts... and where in the world would I get parts for this unit made in China out of a factory that is not even listed on the machine, instructions or box?

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Lundberg

They're selling a 3500W Made In China generator at Costco for something just south of $300 - but the difference being if it breaks, Costco will take it back for a full refund. Then you can either buy another one or get a different brand. They are big enough to force legit returns on the vendor, you aren't.

Challenge the charge during the time period, and either you get your money back or put the onus on Pep Boys to get you one that works and keeps working for a reasonable time period.

The "You can not take the item back to the retailer, you have to ship the unit to an Authorized Repair Station prepaid" is a dodge to get people to not bother forcing them to make good on their warranty.

And after that, you need to consider changing banks if they won't even try to help you dispute a charge, especially when they are legally obligated to. Of course they know it, they have lots of lawyers on salary and/or retainer to remind them - sounds like they were betting on your not knowing.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Wayne I think your description is correct but part of your problem is in your national psyche of free enterprise. In australia we have laws that give customers certain inalienable rights regardless of the warranty. those laws mean that we return to the shop for a refund or replacement. Bunnings is our local clone of your Home Depot. in the back of my local Bunnings I regularly see a couple of pallette loads (no kidding) of returned items. Your solution is to have federal laws mandating basic warranty terms. customer agitation created our laws, I'm sure it can in america as well.

by the way the prostitution to idiocy of brand names just amazes me. I bought a chain saw this morning to clear out some trees, it was brightly labelled as a 'McCullock by Electrolux'

but there on the makers plate was the truth. it was actually made by Husquvarna in italy. Are the mighty McCullock and electrolux merely the suppliers of boxes and stick on decals now? tragic.

Stealth Pilot

Reply to
Stealth Pilot

Actually Electrolux bought Husqvarna in 1978:-) I don't know when they bought McCulloch and Jonsered, but effectively they owned all of the world's decent chainsaw manufacturers. Apparently they have separated all of these plus a few others (Partner, Weedeater etc.) into the Husqvarna brand.

Over here in the peoples republic of the United Kingdom we also have laws that say that the retailer is responsible for ensuring that products and services are "fit for purpose" and "of a satisfactory quality". Specifically that the _retailer_ is responsible for that, whatever the manufacturer says.

If you take an item back claiming that it has an inherent fault within 6 months it is up to the seller to prove that the item wasn't faulty. After that, for up to 6 years, it is for the customer to prove the fault.

For up to a maximum of six years, one can demand damages, which a court will define as the cost of repair or replacement or the actual repair or replacement. For a "reasonable time" (undefined) one can simply demand the money back.

This of course makes the insurance based two and three year extra warrantees, that retailers sell on vacuum cleaners etc. a bit of a mockery... They are liable anyway!

Maybe that's why things that cost one dollar in the states cost a pound over here...

Our laws, as well, came from consumer demand to control abuse by the supply chain.

Mark Rand (Who's old man dealt with Jonsered's for 30 years) RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Interesting. However, that little label is *not* a warranty! It's just a label.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

.---snip---

Well, something worked. The store manager just called telling me that Pep Boys are getting no help from the manufacturer nor distributor and for me to bring in the unit for an exchange. Just be kind enough to drain whatever gasoline is in the tank. That's a fair deal to me and we are taking it. We will also be exploring an extended warranty based on what I have learned in this and other newsgropers sharing their experiences.

I only live when I'm learning something new every day. I think I just got a Doctorate!

If the Chinese vendors really applied the total quality concepts, there would be no returns. I know they know how because they learned from the Japanese who learned from Deming who learned from Shewhart, Taylor, Gibraith and other giants in quality. I know that is why really quality stuff, from Honda to Sony end up in your inventory without ever a second thought as to quality. So a reject such as ours should trigger some QA person in China to take another look at their Statistical Process Control charts.

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Lundberg

Congratulations. Try to sell this replacement generator as "new, never started". You may get most of your money back this way.

Ignoramus17368

Reply to
RoyJ

Reply to