Shining stainless steel

I have a stock non-polished 1/4" thick x 1.5" x 9" piece of stainless steel which I would like to polish up, if possible, to mirror finish or close to it. What are the correct procedures and grit sandpapers or other materials do I need to do/have to accomplish this?

Appreciate any help.

Thank you

Reply to
meanie

Coarse fine extra fine damned fine

1500 grit

snipped-for-privacy@bluebottle.com wrote:

Reply to
Rex B

Google for MicroMesh kits.

They sell a boxed kit of abrasives and a sanding pad that is normally marketed towards the restoration of acrylic surfaces, like eaircraft windows. Should run $30 or so IIRC. Follow the directions, get good results.

I have used these kits on plastics, metals, and glass (pocket watch crystal) to good effect. If you buy the kit it will contain enough of each grit to get you done. IIRC the grit range covers from 180 to 12000.

The product lines are either expanded a great deal since I last looked, or the dealers I had contact with were only stocking the acrylic kits.

These kits are worth a look, if only to see the progression of the variuos grits they provide for various purposes. You can get good wet or dry papers at a decently stocked bodyshop supply place. 1200 grit is pretty fine, but if you follow the progression up through a couple more steps of the grits in the acrylic kit, things get REALLY shiny.

Also worth noting is that these are abrasive pads, sorta rubbery backed sheets, rather than just a wet or dry paper backing on the abrasives. The stuff holds up quite well.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

work your way up in sanding grits to 600, then switch to White Diamond polishing compound on a sewn muslin wheel. To get any shinier, you have to electropolish, but that sequence will get you close to mirror finish. (BTW, there is no diamond in "White Diamond" compound, it's just a trade name).

Reply to
Bob

work your way up in sanding grits to 600, then switch to White Diamond polishing compound on a sewn muslin wheel. To get any shinier, you have to electropolish, but that sequence will get you close to mirror finish. (BTW, there is no diamond in "White Diamond" compound, it's just a trade name).

Reply to
Bob

Thanks for the replies. Are these procedures required by hand or can I use sanders? I have a belt sander and an orbital sander.

Thanks again

Reply to
meanie

Please note that if you go through the documentation on their website that they do admit that their grit numbering system does not equate to 'standard' sandpaper grit. The 12000 grit is equivalent to about 3000 grit, which is still impressive.

Reply to
Fenrir Enterprises

Truth to tell, I was not looking too hard as I scanned the site. In any case, if one gets one of these kits, one gets a progression of grades that can be worked through.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones