Shipping a mill

I want to ship an Enco Bridgeport clone from Wisconsin to northern California. The best quote for shipping I've gotten so far is over
$800, which would probably kill the deal. Is this high or about what I should expect?
This is the current version of the mill, mine has the X axis feed and an older DRO.
<http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGER1&PMCTLG>
David
"David R.Birch" wrote:

Is that quote with rigging / lift gate on each end, or terminal to terminal? Your best price would be palletized terminal to terminal so all they have to do is forklift it from your truck to theirs and back.

Putting a Bridgeport into a truck is not easy...
Ignoramus16649 wrote:

Actually, it is. I've moved my Bridgeport several times.
Ignoramus16649 wrote:
[snip]

Taking it out is even worse.
I've ordered stuff from Grizzly (at about 30% of the Bridgeport's weight). If I have it shipped, I'm responsible for unloading it at its destination. Not much of a problem from a pickup truck bed with an engine hoist. But it could be a problem for that hoist if the delivery truck is too high.
For a 1650 lb unit off a full sized truck, figure on renting/borrowing a forklift.
--
Paul Hovnanian snipped-for-privacy@hovnanian.com
"Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote:

Cheaper and easier to just rent a box truck with a lift gate for half a day. The trick there is to attach a couple of the large 2" ratchet straps between the upper part of the mill and the tiedowns inside the truck a bit back as stabilizers as the lift gates have a tendency to tilt outwards slightly. Rigged properly you can pallet jack onto the liftgate, strap, raise the gate and pallet jack into the truck with no problem, or of course the reverse. Most any box truck lift gate will be rated at 5,000# capacity, giving plenty of margin.

I was quoted $500 to go 12 miles.
Buerste wrote:

I'm not surprised, the loading and unloading labor is a constant regardless of the distance.
Buerste wrote:

You lesbians always get the special rates, though. ;-)
--
And another motherboard bites the dust!

Very reasonable price. Do not forget crating.

Hi, David. We were charged over $1200 to ship less weight from Texas to Oregon last year. Got them down to $600 or so. For a unit that top heavy, they may be pricing it on a flat bed with a tarp over it. I don't think the box sides on most freight trucks will stand holding that much weight tied to them. Most of the stuff I have loaded or unloaded in the last couple of years had to stand in the truck on their own.
Paul
Without knowing if you planned to have it on a suitable pallet, fully crated, or 'loose', tailgate vs dock, and terminal to terminal vs delivery, hard to tell if the price is good on not. I'd expect that a fully crated, forklift friendly, terminal to terminal price to be in the $500 or so range. Any extra handling will certainly cost more.
David R.Birch wrote:

Remember it is over the mountains. And it might have special issues on it - e.g. low humidity (no rust) added insurance for spoilage (rust/breakage) and fuel costs.
I shipped two surface grinders several years ago about the same distance and it was even more. Has mat. The units were tilted so badly in shipping and jostled the hydrologic pump pool spilled. One shipped by train another by truck from the same pickup.
Train got here first.
Martin
David R.Birch wrote:

I can't help with the shipping problem, although that seems like a reasonable price. My neighbor just moved a 18" American Pacemaker lathe to his shop and it cost a grand to go 40 miles. However, if the sale on the mill falls through I might be interested if the price is right. I live in Wisconsin and would probably go pick it up. Where in WI is it? Tom

Tom Wait wrote:

Germantown, Wi 53022, NW of Milwaukee.
David

That's about 15 miles south of my shop. Please keep me informed. If you need an inspection let me know I can go take a look and some pictures if you'd like, it's on the way to Milwaukee for me. Tom
Tom Wait wrote:

I tried to send a private reply, but it got kicked back because you've altered your email address. Please send me a private message with the correct address.
David

Any particular reason you can't hold on and find something closer? Not that I can say when I got the Jones for a BP I didn't drive across 3 states to get it in a terrible winter storm. I should have waited a bit longer, I saw many for sale just after I brought mine home that were far closer.
Time is on your side given current conditions. There is a potential depression in the wings. I'd try backing off and watching a bit longer for a real deal.
Wes

I agree with Wes. Every mold shop that closes has at least one Bridgeport.
Wes wrote:

I'm selling it, not buying.
David