Shop from hell: meter resolved

The meter problem (PG&E wanted $1200) is apparently solved. The person I talked to said it wasn't required in my case (not even going to guess what that case is), and the cost of the new meter is: $0.00.

Ya gotta love breaucracies.

Anyways, joists in place, finishing blocking work, then do structural inspection, then on to electrical.

I think I learned one lesson here. Don't worry about the next step. It will just slow you down. Just worry about finishing the next thing.

Scott Moore

Yeah, if you don't like the answer you just got, call again and talk to somebody else. You're bound to get a different answer (which you may like more, or less, than the previous one!)

Good luck!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

The key with this plan of course is to avoid giving your name to the person at the other end of the phone, until you have secured the desired answer!

Jim

jim rozen

Yes weedhopper, you have attained true wisdom.

"First things first. Second things not at all. The alternative is to do nothing"

Erich

will just slow you

Reply to
Kathy and Erich Coiner

Good to hear you got it worked out. I was pretty confident you would be ok with the setup you described. In regards to dealing with bureaucracy, something I learned and always keep in mind is that when people are trained to react from a book they are looking for keywords. ie: you mention power meter replacement, BOOM!!!! occurs in the cubicle workers head and he imediattly flips to page 34,789, paragraph 65, line 39 and see's the only possible course of action. Ofcourse there are a dozen probable solutions to your problem, but to him the problem was not the best solution, but making a match for your case. Seeking another solution by it's own definition implies the book may be wrong, which is a no-no :)

So call in anonomously and feel them out, see what pops in his head as a red flag. You know those calls when all was going well and suddenly after saying one word the whole tone of conversation changes? That is what you are looking to avoid. Another thing I found is to never offer up too much info. Don't say stuff like "I'm worried I might need a new main box and power meter" or "my friend had this problem" or I got this piece of industrial equipment". This will open the door for all sorts of new problems and once again place them into a state of mind that you don't want. I never say welder or lathe, I say a larger washer or dryer ;) Keep things to a minimum, let them do most all the talking first.

Then everyonce in a while life is good and the guy will take your lead. You tell him what you want and he simply goes along with it, but be very careful using this route unless you absolutely know exactly what you want and need. Many a fool has came out spending much too much for stuff he didn't need going this route.

Don't mean to sound preachy, but thought I'd pass on some things I noticed as I stumble on thru life. It might sound obvious to some, but there are a few guys out there this might still help.

Oliver

inspection, then on

will just slow you

Reply to
V8TR4

"V8TR4" Ofcourse there are a dozen probable solutions to your problem, but to him

All true;

A Bureaucrat

Reply to
Vaughn

"V8TR4" Ofcourse there are a dozen probable solutions to your problem, but to him

Yes, too true.

Almost ready for structural inspection. I am so worn out....

Reply to
Scott Moore