Shop-made Aluminum sight mount

Sorry for OT, but I did make the sight mount out of Aluminum on my Bridgeport. I have a "Ruger Mark II Gov. Target" that I bought new 20 some years ago but have only put a few hundred rounds through. A couple of years ago I mounted an Aimpoint 40mm Red-Dot sight on the dovetail sight mount I made to fit the existing rear sight. After dialing in the sight at the shop, I could cover a group with a quarter...fine by me! I brought 250 rds of CCI Mini-Mags and half a dozen magazines to the range just to burn up some ammo. I set a standard torso type target at 30 feet and used a bench rest. I use 4" x 6" shipping labels with a simple cross printed on them to "repair" the target. The first 5 shot group was 1" high so I dialed it down. On the sight adjustment there is the word "UP" and a little arrow pointing counterclockwise. The next group was even higher. Hmmm. So I dialed it counterclockwise - against all logic! The next group was right on! After the first 100 rds. of nice small groups I experimented a bit with my grip and the way I was "seeing". Something just clicked...I would see the red dot change to a bit darker color as a hole in the paper appeared under it. The next hundred rounds all went into holes the size of blueberries. With the last 50 I made a smiley face complete with eyebrows. As I was paying the bill, the owner said "I see you got bored."

I've never been in the zone like that before, I only hope I can do it again!

Reply to
Buerste

I don't want to rain on your parade, but in International Competition (Standard Pistol (22LR)), you would have to do that at 25 meters with open sights and standing to be competitive. I competed in that for many years before my eyesight failed me. I can still put 5 rds in damn near the same hole, except I just don't know where that hole will be.

On another note, I also have an Aimpoint, but no longer use it because mine at least suffers parallax issues, where just a slightly different head position changes the location of the red dot on the target. I hope yours is better. Steve

I have a "Ruger Mark II Gov. Target" that I

A couple of years ago I mounted an Aimpoint 40mm

sight. After dialing in the sight at the shop, I

Mini-Mags and half a dozen magazines to the range

used a bench rest. I use 4" x 6" shipping labels

group was 1" high so I dialed it down. On the sight

counterclockwise. The next group was even higher. Hmmm. So I

After the first 100 rds. of nice small groups I

clicked...I would see the red dot change to a bit

all went into holes the size of blueberries.

the bill, the owner said "I see you got bored."

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

My device is a bit different. I use a green laser pointer mounted on the rear sight (my handgun of choice is a S&W 617). . It is not adjustable but it is very consistent and the aim point can be adjusted with your eyes. The Green Laser is much better than the cheaper Red Laser but it is expensive. Various sellers offer a similar Green Laser for $100 to $300.

DL

Reply to
TwoGuns

Hand-held green lasers are well under $20 now. I'm hoping the rail-mount versions will follow

Reply to
RBnDFW

25 meters? Hell, I can barely see 25 FEET! I'll NEVER pretend I can compete. I just feel like the golfer/duffer that played a few good holes in a row for a change. Been there, done that...with the total confidence that I'll be exploring the rough again soon.
Reply to
Buerste

Only a few hundred through a .22 RF? You have sinned. I don't feel so bad, see my recent post, now.

I put 10 rounds into a 2.18" group using Greek HXP ammo though a .303 Lee-Enfield #4 MK1 at 100 yards about 10 years ago. Two MOA might not seem stellar but it was with iron sights and a 60 year old battle rifle with lousy lockup and stock bedding and

250s rounds of .30-06 and .308 for the day at the club.

I also was in the zone imho. I pulled the target down and went home after that. Weird group, circle around the aim point. Not a tight pattern.

Wes

Wes

I've been meaning to ask about that (red dot parallax). I got an inexpensive red dot sight for my pellet gun. The sight was a Crossman, $20 - $25. I was really surprised when I discovered the parallax - I thought that no-parallax was a main feature of red-dots. So, is my parallax a matter of the low price, the brand, or do all red dots have it?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

A long time ago I got a hole-in-one while playing with a bunch of buds on a coarse I'd never played before. Then I hear "That's not our green, our green is over there!".

Reply to
Buerste

Got anymore of that brass kicking around..Id buy it from you.

Thats boxer primed and VERY good brass. Im something of a fan of the #4s...and have a few..shrug.

Gunner

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I have very little left and I'm keeping it.

Yup, it is good brass and I have a few #4's also.

Wes

Wes

Lee-Enfield #4 MK1

Btw..it is relatively simply to make .303 brass from .30-40 Krag brass (which is still rather common) and convert it to fit the chamber of an individual Smellie very well. No case stretching, no head seperations and so forth. I only use new, unfired Krag brass, and it works very very well. But..shrug..it does take some extra manipulations.

Gunner

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I did find something about this: Aimpoint says that their red dot is parallax free at 50 m & beyond. At less that that, there is parallax. I.e., the dot needs to be held in the center of the sight. It's not at all obvious to me why that should be, but there it is.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt