Shortening caliper length?

Hello all, This may seem like an odd post but has a last resort I may need to shorten a 4 inch digital caliper with a hardened stainless scale. What would be the best method to cut this? I also realize that I will have to reattach the stop. Thanks for any input!!! Gene

Reply to
Gene T

They aren't realy hard, sometimes. I have cut one just with a hack saw. But you also can use a angle grinder with a cutting disk. Try to keep it cool! You might lose the last few mm's functionality, but it doesn't matter, the electronics won't reach that part.

HTH, Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

I did a 6" to 4" with a cut-off wheel and cleaned it up with a file. A little superglue to keep the fiberglass from fraying. Drill and rivet the stop back on. Works fine!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I believe someone recently posted a message about using one as a cheap DRO scale and said they cut the jaws off with a cutoff wheel on a Dremel tool.

A quick Google search found this message:

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall