Small engine repair or trash?

iding lawn mover that he wanted to get rid of, mower deck rotten and engine smoke. I gave him $50 for it and gave it to my son (age 12) to play with. We had a nice time, cleaned the carb, and got it running nicely. And the n we removed the governor and wired in directly to the throttle. (He made a throttle pedal from a bicycle hand brake.) I warned him about keeping to engine revs up for extended periods of time.. but not enough I guess. Any way he had a great time bombing around the place on it. Then last week he had it stopped. It had lost power and was making clanking noises. (Motor is 17 HP Briggs and Stratton twin, two pistons) He pulled of the head on t he noisy side and the piston has ~1/4-1/2 inch of "play". I assume he tras hed one (or both) of the bearings in the piston rod. I'm inclined to work with him and take it apart. But I'm wondering if it's a lost cause? Any t houghts, ideas or opinions are welcome. Oh, I also wonder if I need to tak e the engine off the frame to repair it?

George If that is the opposed twin, I think I have the same motor, apart. Mine has a bad cylinder wall, but it's other wise perfect. I have since bought a Vanguard v-twin to replace it, so will be parting out the older opposed twn.

Rex B

Reply to
Rex

riding lawn mover that he wanted to get rid of, mower deck rotten and engi ne smoke. I gave him $50 for it and gave it to my son (age 12) to play wit h. We had a nice time, cleaned the carb, and got it running nicely. And t hen we removed the governor and wired in directly to the throttle. (He mad e a throttle pedal from a bicycle hand brake.) I warned him about keeping to engine revs up for extended periods of time.. but not enough I guess. A nyway he had a great time bombing around the place on it. Then last week h e had it stopped. It had lost power and was making clanking noises. (Moto r is 17 HP Briggs and Stratton twin, two pistons) He pulled of the head on the noisy side and the piston has ~1/4-1/2 inch of "play". I assume he tr ashed one (or both) of the bearings in the piston rod. I'm inclined to wor k with him and take it apart. But I'm wondering if it's a lost cause? Any thoughts, ideas or opinions are welcome. Oh, I also wonder if I need to t ake the engine off the frame to repair it?

e has a bad cylinder wall, but it's other wise perfect.

g out the older opposed twn.

Wow, thanks for all the wonderful responses! (Please don't be upset for a blanket reply... I'm just lazy.) I didn't have any time to work this weeke nd. (Other things as usual... lots of wood hauling getting ready for winte r.) But my son and I are totally committed to ripping it apart. Yes I think this is opposed rather than a Vee. I like the baking sheet ide a. Not only to catch oil but also those little pieces parts.

RPM and gearing... yeah that was the next mod. (changing the pulleys.. but it never happened.. live and learn.)

Gerry Thanks for the manual link. (I'll sic the boy on hunting down the ri ght one.)

Again thanks for all the sage advice.

George H.

Reply to
ggherold

0.50" play from two 0.08" thick bearings?

(1) Remove bad engine. Replace with new engine. (2) Do NOT fark with governor this time. Otherwise, return to (1).

You might be able to get away with a new crank and rod, but...

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I have 200 MB of B&S manuals. Around 50 of them.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell