Soft Start Motors

What exactly defines a soft start motor and how can I tell if I have one? Are these motors used at all in machine tools? Thank You

Sonny

Reply to
best wire

The motors usually have an extra three wires in the peckerhead.. 12 wires in all. They are used on higher hp motors to limit the torque and start current on start up. You need an extra contactor to use this feature. Newer systems use an electronic soft start.

John

Reply to
john