Source for O6 tooling steel? (no luck so far)

I checked two major steel suppliers in my area (Southern California), no luck on finding tooling steel (besides O1, A1). Any online suppliers (I've checked a few with now luck) have this metal that will also do a small orders? 1" to 2" inch solid cylinder pieces is what I am looking for. Or maybe can someone recommend a tool/die shop that will handle/supply a small order (assuming they have o6)

I'm interested in O6 because it seems to have a large difference in its hardness between relaxed and hardenned states (roughly 40 - 58 rockwell hardness if memeory serves me). Anyone have any experience with this (using the soft state to impression, then harden to final use)

Thanks

Reply to
johnnon

Just a thought, you should perhaps talk to someone in a coin die shop. I believe high production coining dies are all struck from the same master and destroyed (and replaced) as they wear out.

Further, you should consult a local tool steel supplier. A vendor like Uddeholm

Crucible
Carpenter
etc. should have good suggestions on what to use for your application. They'll also know how to heat-treat your steel...

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

What are you going to use it for?

There is a reason 06 isnt common..because most things can be done with the common stuff.

Gunner

Gunner

John,

I've only machined 06, I've never tried to cold work it. Machines beautifully, I think it has graphite in it. It also has very low distortion, in thin sections, when heat treated.

I think you'll find taht most tool steels, especially A1, have a tendancy to work harden when worked cold.

What type of material are you trying to take an impression from ?? The surface area of a 1" circle is going to take one hell of a whack to impress.

Regards

Mark

Reply to
Mark Mossberg

I have some pieces of A-2, D-2, O-2, and S-1 for sale on my surplus page:

Richard J Kinch

How about M2 or M42 - there are suppliers in that. Perhaps O6.

Martin

Reply to
lionslair at consolidated dot

These are makers of very high quality drill blanks so Latrobe (sp) and others can make drills...

I have had custom sizes made for my needs several years ago. The M2 and M42 is machinable and then hardens upon heating. Martin

Reply to
lionslair at consolidated dot

Try a google search for Graph-Mo tool steel

Reply to
Bob Sanders

Summerville Steel Santa Fe Springs Calif

800-826-5093

They stock O-6 in 1/2 to 2.5 inch thicknesses And all sorts of other tool steels.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster