Southbend four foot precision lathe

There is a Southbend four foot precision lathe for sale near here. The seller states that is well cared for. It has a couple four jaw chucks and some other tools with it. He's asking $600 for it.

Reply to
Michael A Terrell

A sleal at twice the price if it's in good shape (at least up here!!)

Reply to
Clare Snyder

He sold it, while I was trying to make arrangements to see it. I told him that I had cash in hand, but apparently he wasn't honest enough to deal with one person at a time.

Reply to
Michael A Terrell

I paid $800 for my SB "A" 9" out of a high school shop 35+ years ago.

Reply to
Gerry

When I went to see mine two other fellows were going to make a phone call and before they found a pay phone it was mine including $25 delivery charge paid in full.

Reply to
Gerry

That's too bad, but the vast majority of people who wanted me to wait for them to get money or transportation never came through, and I lost sales as a result, sometimes losing money on the sale which did go through. (That's on sales of gizmos priced at maybe $25 on up.) Don't be too hard on him. When a person needs money, they often take the cash from the first possible hand. You may have been the 7th person to say that you had the money, but...

So, someone is having a nice Christmas. Ho, Ho, Ho.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I asked where it was located so that I could see it, and he only gave a vague answer. It was already dark outside, so I asked about seeing it today. It was a listing on a local Facebook group, and the policy is to state that someone is interested, but you will go down the line of anyone else who was interested. He replied that it was well maintained, but the photos of the chucks showed everything with a black stain, which is typical of people who don't keep their tools coated with oil in this high humidity area.

This is the third lathe to get away from me. The first was huge. It would have filled one bay of my garage, and It had a 5HP three phase motor. The second was that Atlas. I kept asking for the man's address. All I could get from people who knew him was, 'He lives right off the Boulevard' which narrowed it to a couple hundred homes, on dozens of side streets. By the time I finally got to talk to him, he said that he had given it away to a junk collector.

Reply to
Michael A Terrell

I bought my Myford Super 7 about 20 years ago for $1500 Canadian and replaced the cross-slide screw and nut about 5 years later. (It is on a factory base, has quick-change, and came with a fair amount of tooling - 3 jaw, 4 jaw, faceplate, dogs, milling attchment (such as it is) etc - in pretty nice shape. One year too old to have power cross-feed. I've got a variable speed DC drive I've been planning on putting on for the last 5 or 6 years - - - -

Reply to
Clare Snyder

full set of change gears , 2 chucks , steady and follow rests , and a bunch of other stuff . All it lacked was a motor - and I had one available .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Could have been a scam. "Come to 123 Main St right now with the money." and you show up to 4 very nasty characters. Lots of Craigslist criminals work people, that being one of the ways. He might have had trouble getting muscle. Maybe you lucked out. (Merry Christmas, huh?)

Don't you just want to GIBBS SLAP those guys?

Perhaps you're just not meant to have one right now, Mikey.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Sweet.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

A South Bend "Precision" lathe could be a 9" Model C with manual change gears.

Jim Wilkins