stainless steel restoration

Hello,

I've got a countertop here that's got some problems. It appears to be stainless steel, but there seems to be a bit of corrosion in a few places. I think the word 'pitting' best describes what I'm seeing. This counter isn't vintage or anything, just a typical kitchen counter. As it's in an otherwise lousy apartment building, it was probably the cheapest thing that could be found at the time of purchase.

So, although I'm pretty sure I can't undo the pitting, what I'd like to do is make the color of these depressions, which are a slightly darker grey, the same as the surrounding metal.

Any suggestions about a common and preferably mild chemical (this would be best since I'm overseas) or product I could get that might achieve this?

Thanks!

Reply to
stretchoutandwait

I'd think polishing with a mild abrasive like a powder cleanser would clean it up. With some water and a soft pad.

Probably a weak acid would do it too.

-- dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.05... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

HCl is what I use to clean Stainles 302. You could try "Lime-Away" or similar "off-shelf" product. I think that's Oxacilic Acid or such.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Thanks for the suggestions!

Reply to
stretchoutandwait

Let us know...

Reply to
Tom Gardner

The suggestions already made for the mild abrasives (cleansers) would work best for the pitting or discoloration. When I worked in a restaurant that had stainless steel counters in the kitchen preparation area, the cooks used club soda to clean the counters when they wanted them to shine.

Mark

Reply to
Mark