Starret Bandsaw Blade Life Expectancy

I have a bandsaw with a 1 inch Starrett blade. I typically cut thick pieces, like 4-8 inch rounds. Mostly mild steel, like 4140, 8620 etc.

When cutting, I have plentiful coolant, meaning that the blade is soaked with coolant just when entering the cut.

Under these conditions, how long can I expect the blade to last. Say, how many buckets of chips can I expect to make with one blade? I already made a couple buckets with one blade and it seems fine so far.

Ignoramus12350

Starrett 1/2" blades suck. Starrett the company sucks. Many other manufacturers of blades -- DoAll, Lenox, many others. Lenox bimetal blades supposedly rool. Proly some quantitated reviews around.

Iffin yer using a Kalamazoo-type cutoff saw, they are supposed to have a chip wheel/wire brush. Allows tighter guide-wheel tolerance, for straighter/better cuts. One of those brushes/wipers after AND before the blade guide rollers is proly not a bad idea, either. Or even blast air.

Reply to
Existential Angst

Didn't you post this a while back, Iggy? I can't imagine how anyone could give you a close answer.

First, 4140 and 8620 are not mild steel. They're alloys.

Second, it depends. Keep up the coolant, though.

I assume you're using a regular bimetal Starrett blade, right? Or a skip-tooth, or a Variable-Tooth-Height blade?

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I know Iggy. I've been to his house at different times. He doesn't have a problem, Jon. YOU have a problem. With your personality. Or several of your personalities.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Ed was right on on the alloy thing. Ig, by now, you should be alloy-savvy, no?

4140, even unhardened, is tough stuff.

But here's what you are actually in a position to do, since you are counting buckets of chips. Buy a bunch of blades from different mfrs, keep a log of hours, materials, etc, and post back with some quantitative results on blade performance/life You should keep some kind of "standard" material for an occasional test cut (under "standard saw settings"), to assess blade performance over time. That would prove very useful for everyone cutting metal, and you could at least start to pay down the debt of, oh, about 10 years worth of free bidniss advice/technical consultations.

Reply to
Existential Angst

Ed, you have so many of your own issues that you can't understand the problem iggy has with his approach.

By no means am I the only one that clearly see's that iggy has a serious problem with his approach. You know very well that many others have called iggy out on these continuing issues with iggy. As per usual, you wish to ignore the problems that iggy has with his lame approach and pretend they aren't issues that other besides myself have noticed. This is very similar to how you ignore the problems of the Pimple or KiddingNoOne that others post about. =================================================

KiddingHisself and PlimpBoi are malevolent sociopaths, as clearly evinced by their joint GummerWitchhunt. As I pointed out elsewhere, kidding and plimp aren't worthy of holding gummer's dick while he takes a piss, and even tho YOU don't like gummer, I'll bet you'd agree 100% wit DAT.

Now, Ed is clearly well-adjusted (well, imo -- clearly not in your oipinion LOL), and I can only surmise that the reason Ed entertains their toxic malevolent semi-litirit drivel is because he's doing some kind of study on UseNet Sociopaths and Assholes.

Ed, when will you be publishing this Mighty Tomb of UseNet?? Will you be using Mr. PV's Standard AQ scale?? The Assaholic Quotient?? Kidding will peg the meter on DAT one.... I might have to standardize a new scale just for that pricky asshole.

Reply to
Existential Angst

Actually, Jon, *you're* my biggest issue lately. When you go away, I'll brighten right up.

WTF are you talking about? Iggy is a nice guy with a lot of guts and a willingness to ask questions. He doesn't have "issues." He has a personality, and I find it to be a quite pleasant one.

He's turned his interest into a business, at considerable risk. It's doing better, I'll bet, than most startups at this stage in their history.

You, on the other hand, come into a recreational metalworking group and berate people for not knowing all the answers. What do you think a recreational group is for? That it's a place for you to show off all of your professional knowledge and to make fun of people who are amateurs?

This is supposed to be a group for amateurs. It's nice that some pros help out with the questions sometimes. It's NOT nice when you berate them for things that you think they should have known. We're here as hobbyists.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Think of it as a sequel to _The Tibetan Book of the Dead_. I can't find a publisher, though, so it's probably a dead project -- if you'll forgive the pun.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Jesus, have you hung out your shingle yet? What are you doing with CAD and CAM, when you spend most of your time doing ersatz psychoanalysis from inside of a tin bucket?

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Using Thunderbird I can see you (Ed) replying to yourself frequently, I presume this is due to anything from Jon Banquer having been automatically deleted for some time now in my filters. All I see is a bit of what JB posted in your reply. BTW you seem one of the sane ones but I suspect not everyone would agree with that from some replies.

Reply to
David Billington

Mine has wipers. It is called Startrite H225.

Ignoramus12350

Variable TPI, the teeth look different.

Reply to
Ignoramus12350

It's not a "problem" for iggy....

He's just acting stupid, (and cleverly so) in order to profit from all the gullible folks who are apparently eager to waste their own time spoon-feeding him with information that he could easily figure out on his own if he were so inclined.

-easy to feel sorry for someone in a wheelchair; only slightly less than for someone who posts on usenet using the nym "ignoramus", if you catch my drift...

The problem IMO is when someone is always provided with the "easy answer", their reasoning, problem solving, and decision making skills generally suffer substantially as a result.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

Hahahooo!...it must look really weird then, Dave.

You're right; if you don't jerk your knee over every right-wing myth in this place, there are some folks who will accuse you of everything short of starving your children.

For those who take them seriously, it must be unpleasant. For me, it's an entertaining insight into some very warped minds.

But I'll try to lighten up on replying to the real nutcases, to spare you the quotes. d8-)

Reply to
Ed Huntress

4140, if unhardened, is extremely easy to cut on a band saw. Cuts as fast as any other steel. 8620 is a lot harder to cut! It takes forever, in comparison.

When I make ships by the bucket, new problems and questions appear, I had to redo the coolant nozzle so that the blade stays wetter, etc.

Yep, I agree.

Ignoramus12350

snipped-for-privacy@ot10g2000pbb.googlegroups.com...

e gullible folks who are apparently eager to waste their own time spoon-fee ding him with information that he could easily figure out on his own if he were so inclined.

for someone who posts on usenet using the nym "ignoramus", if you catch my drift...

, their reasoning, problem solving, and decision making skills generally su ffer substantially as a result.

Yeah, I catch your drift. iggy is one pathetic piece of shit and those like Ed that keep enabling iggy are far worse in my opinion.

"The problem IMO is when someone is always provided with the "easy answer", their reasoning, problem solving, and decision making skills generally suffer substantially as a result."

Unfortunately in their desire to help, many like Ed miss this even though iggy's problem has been beyond obvious for years now. The best thing this group could possibly offer up in my opinion is helping those who wish to be machinists help on how to learn how to think and reason for themselves. In my opinion EA has and is now a professional machinist with the right approach.

Maybe if you went and met iggy, like Ed loves to mention he has, you would feel differently. Maybe the world is really flat and maybe Mark Wieber doesn't lie.

Reply to
Jonathan Banquer

Lay a straightedge along the teeth. If the tooth HEIGHT varies, it's a Starrett VTH blade. The set varies every 3rd to 10th tooth, too.

They're made mostly for nickel alloys, including stainless. I wrote an article about them last year, after spending a day in a shop that cuts a lot of 316 bars.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Ed,

Carry on as you see fit don't worry about me. I had all but given up on RCM until I updated to a newer version of Thunderbird recently with better filtering capabilities and filtering certain frequently cross posted newsgroups and a few other things keeps it sane and quiet on RCM for me and largely on topic. Still the degradation of content over the last 10 years or so is pretty evident.

Reply to
David Billington

Ig, even my 50-year-old Kalamazoo #8 has those wipers -- and they're important with tight guide clearance; keep them properly adjusted and renewed as necessary.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

snipped-for-privacy@ot10g2000pbb.googlegroups.com...

e gullible folks who are apparently eager to waste their own time spoon-fee ding him with information that he could easily figure out on his own if he were so inclined.

for someone who posts on usenet using the nym "ignoramus", if you catch my drift...

, their reasoning, problem solving, and decision making skills generally su ffer substantially as a result.

Count on Ed Huntress totally ignoring what you posted just like he ignores the facts about what the Pimple and KiddingNoOne are.

There is most definitely a reason Ed won't do the small amount of research need to confirm facts. The facts would blow the nonsense and bullshit Ed frequently posts to smithereens. Ed honed his craft of ignoring and not wanting to know the real truth writing for advertising based magazines as well as writing ad copy over many years. You always pay a price for selling out. How Ed thinks and operates shows just how badly selling out for years and years has effected him.

Reply to
Jonathan Banquer