Starret Bandsaw Blade Life Expectancy

On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 16:46:05 -0700 (PDT), jon_banquer

gullible folks who are apparently eager to waste their own time spoon-feeding him with information that he could easily figure out on his own if he were so inclined.

for someone who posts on usenet using the nym "ignoramus", if you catch my drift...

their reasoning, problem solving, and decision making skills generally suffer substantially as a result.

They're calling you from your Group, Jon. Run! Run!
Ditch the hat first, though.
--
Ed Huntress

On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 13:53:35 -0700, "PrecisionmachinisT"

gullible folks who are apparently eager to waste their own time spoon-feeding him with information that he could easily figure out on his own if he were so inclined.

their reasoning, problem solving, and decision making skills generally suffer substantially as a result.
One has to assume that, having condemned Iggy for asking questions, that you know everything.
I'm reminded of the old heads, you know, the guys that have been at it for 20 - 30 years, when they get a job that is a bit intricate they wander around the shop asking other chaps, "if you were doing this how would you do it", and after having collected a number of ideas they go ahead and make the piece. The young apprentice boys, on the other hand, being too embarrassed with their own lack of knowledge to ask questions frequently have to go back to the boss and admit that they can't figure out how to make the part. You sound much like the latter description.
--
Cheers,

John B.
On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 18:02:34 -0700, "PrecisionmachinisT"

gullible folks who are apparently eager to waste their own time spoon-feeding him with information that he could easily figure out on his own if he were so inclined.

their reasoning, problem solving, and decision making skills generally suffer substantially as a result.

can't find the information I'm looking for by researching it myself, especially where it concerns metalworking. After all, I've made a living doing metalworking my entire life and I'm nearing 56 at present.

Well, I'm a bit older than you and probably have more experience (finished apprenticeship in 1950) and I still run into things that I ask questions about.
But I really can't understand that someone asks a question and you are too stingy to tell the guy the answer. Clutch the information to your bosom and gloat, I guess. Chanting your mantra, "I know something that you don't know".
Infantile!
--
Cheers,

John B.

I loathe the lazy.

Actually, I'm quite free with "the information"--especially when I feel someone is deserved..
But when someone repeatedly demonstrates an unwillingness to research a topic on their own, I tire of spelling it out.

Hogwash...how many hours a day do YOU suppose I should spend answering silly questions ?
The answer to "how long should a bandsaw blade last" is "it depends", followed by about 20 minutes worth of spoon feeding...
Let him figure it out, maybe he'll learn something, although I seriously doubt it.
--he doesn't even know for sure what material he is cutting....

Piss off.
On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 08:46:18 -0700, "PrecisionmachinisT"

I see... If the guy bows and scrapes and pleads with you for a drop of your precious knowledge you might possible reward him with a tiny scrap information.

Given your stated practice of clutching whatever information you may possess to your bosom and relating your experiences only to those chosen few acolytes who demonstrate sufficient reverence, I doubt that you spent much time at all, helping people.

Well, since it is apparent that you don't know the answer one has to wonder why you decided to answer at all?

As I said above, Infantile.
--
Cheers,

John B.

No you don't see.

I freely give whatever knowlwedge I might have up until the point where someone has proven themselves NOT worthy.

Fuck yourself, asshole.
<plonk>

Thanks. Also, it is a lot better to ask a question about making buckets of chips, even a dumb one, as opposed to waging personal vendettas.
On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 19:46:29 -0700 (PDT), jon_banquer

Jon, there are only about four people here who give Iggy a hard time. And three of them are you.
--
Ed Huntress

On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 20:39:40 -0500, Ignoramus12350

Iggy, some people ask questions and learn, others keep silent and remain stupid.
--
Cheers,

John B.
On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 15:19:46 -0400, Ed Huntress

WHERE could he go? This is his life! As far as anyone can tell, his only other activity is abusing fruit.

No doubt about it. He's willing to work and stick his neck out and he has the success to show for it. Let's see... Ig is waltzing with iron, has a home and a shop and a family and good prospects. Bonkers is pounding his keyboard 23 hours a days and using the remaining hour to liquefy fruit and pretend it's a magic elixer. Which one to take seriously...

Ig probably corrected Bonkers in some minor way and the rest is history. Bonkers is now DRIVEN to respond to every Ig post with some insane criticism... which is somehow supposed to improve his chances of convincing people to read his blog? I wonder if Bonkers posts links on his blog to his Usenet nonsense. If not, then why not? LOL
On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 07:16:52 -0700, whoyakidding's ghost

His blog...er, I mean his "group." In fact, with all the success and the accolades he's getting there, I can hardly figure what he's doing on RCM. There are only a couple of CAD/CAM people here who are into advanced stuff. Over there, he has tens of thousands just begging for his words of wisdom.
The only thing I can figure is that the candles are burning out on Jon's LinkedIn shrine, and he's here to borrow some.

A tip: Don't ever criticize pushrod engines or Ford GT40s. Those subjects are hotwired straight to his brain stem, and the convulsions will flatten trees for a hundred yards in all directions.

He's after the killjoy and malcontent market.

He's afraid of the competition.
--
Ed Huntress

On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 10:32:08 -0400, Ed Huntress

He ought to pursue that theme. "Linkedin's #1 home for LEADING killjoys and malcontents" Seriously, something like that could keep him so busy he wouldn't have the need or the time to pretend he is or ever was successful at anything.

Here, he finds ridiculous excuses to endlessly brag that he's a superhero in blogland. Surely he's at least as proud of his history of habitual Usenet stalking, and should be telling his blog readers all about it every day. It's his DUTY to inform them that he's a Usenet crimefighter! No matter how often they say they aren't interested, he knows better. He should make THEIR best interest his priority and refuse to take no for an answer, just like he does here.

I would say, each of his multiple personalities has multiple problems. :)
On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 20:36:35 -0500, Ignoramus12350

Maybe there's a therapist who offers bulk discounts.
--
Ed Huntress

The problem is that his multiple persnoalities need different therapists.

I'm sure there are therapists with multiple personalities as well. Hopefully all of them are licensed.
--
EA

On 04/22/2013 08:36 PM, Ignoramus12350 wrote:

Now you know why the asshat is in so many killfiles.
technomaNge
--
Including mine.

Variable TPI, the teeth look different.
On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 15:50:18 -0500, Ignoramus12350

Lay a straightedge along the teeth. If the tooth HEIGHT varies, it's a Starrett VTH blade. The set varies every 3rd to 10th tooth, too.
They're made mostly for nickel alloys, including stainless. I wrote an article about them last year, after spending a day in a shop that cuts a lot of 316 bars.
--
Ed Huntress

Ed was right on on the alloy thing. Ig, by now, you should be alloy-savvy, no? 4140, even unhardened, is tough stuff.
But here's what you are actually in a position to do, since you are counting buckets of chips. Buy a bunch of blades from different mfrs, keep a log of hours, materials, etc, and post back with some quantitative results on blade performance/life You should keep some kind of "standard" material for an occasional test cut (under "standard saw settings"), to assess blade performance over time. That would prove very useful for everyone cutting metal, and you could at least start to pay down the debt of, oh, about 10 years worth of free bidniss advice/technical consultations.
--
EA