Steam Book Gloat

Thanks to someone on RCM (very sorry to have forgotten who) I looked at a classic steam engine book, as reproduced on-line at the U. of Michigan. This was enough to start me searching for my own copy of "A Catechism of the Steam Engine", by John Bourne. Google helped me find one, even better, it was one of the very early editions, pub. 1850. There is a note in beautiful calligraphic handwriting of the period with the owners name inscribed in 1852 and a sales sticker from a book store in Norfolk, VA.

I Googled a bit more and found a copy of the edition that is reproduced on-line. This one is an 1872 edition, much like the 1868 one that is on-line. Comparing the two books, only 18 years apart in publication, is a fascinating observation on emerging technology. This coming September, I'll get another chance to view some steam engineering up close and personal. That will be in the engine room of the historic 1926 Delta Queen steam boat. We have a 6 night cruise scheduled from St. Louis to Cincinnati.

Bob Swinney

PS: Link to the on-line book:

there you'll find "Modern Machine Shop Practice, vol 1 and 2" and The Advanced Machinist, 1903

Reply to
Robert Swinney

kfvorwerk

Old books are always a joy to have and to read! Especialy when they have metal content. :-)

I have a stationaly Diesel engines book (about 1906), that has some stamping of "Benz & Cie." in it. Normaly, a stamping reduces it's value. For me, it increases it.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Nick sez: "> I have a stationaly Diesel engines book (about 1906), that has some

Generally though, it depends on what the stamping or other inscription is. A stamp or sticker that serves to establish time line can add to the value of a book. "Provenance", I think it is called; anything that establishes authenticity. One of my prized books is a 1916 Marks Mechanical Engineer's Handbook, first edition, in a very long line of "Marks".

Bob Sw>

Reply to
Robert Swinney