Stop smoking advice needed

All....... I had an epiphamy after reading this article.

So..... your best advice on how to stop is needed...... desperately. Ive tried everything over the years and have quit many.... many times but it never takes. Its time to go for broke. My reserch makes me think I should spend as much time and dough as necessary on one of these methods ASAP.

Pros Laser is always good for everything. Cons Cant be sure they have the latest laser and its calibrated properly. Anybody tried a DIY version?

Pros Cheaper and can be done repeatedly as necessary. Cons Seems to require swinging coins..... which can be hard to come by.

Or should I try both either together or seperately in which order? Proabably a good idea to wait a reasonable time after the hypnosis before applying the laser would be my guess. Im open to all.....all suggestions.

Gunner..... serious as a heart attach this time.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Gunner Asch wrote on 5/20/2018 10:55 AM:

Try shock therapy.

Every time before you light up a cigarette, hold a metal nail in each hand and stick them into the electrical socket.

Your urge to light up a cigarette will quickly diminish over time.

I am sure it will work.

Reply to
j3VP9?? ? ?????? ? ?????? ? ??HjPw

Its a good theory but Ive tried it accidentally.....DAMHIKT..... and it didnt work.

Thats not exactly how I did it but close enough. Got my EE (equivelent sort of) the hard way....

So you dont have any opinion on the laser or hypnotherapi methods? Means your probably another stupid leftist for whom it will be a long hot and deadly summer.....

Reply to
Gunner Asch

What's with all the ellipsis? Is it some sort of typing stutter?

Cite.

Cite.

Cite.

Reply to
Carries On

My wife and I both stopped smoking the simple cheap way. We did not quit a t the same time, but we just stopped buying cigarettes and just stopped smo king. For years after I stopped, I would have the urge to smoke when I was outside in cool to cold weather and was taking a break from what ever I wa s working on.

I have not kept up with the cost of cigarettes , but must be about $1 per c igarette. How about figuring out the cost of each cigarette and put in the cost of a cigarette into a jar each time you find yourself wanting a smoke .

If you can quit for two days you will have passed the hard time.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

My experience was (1) finally making up my mind that I WAS GOING TO QUIT! (2) a nicotine patch, with some nicotine gum as a fall back and finally, the mind set that if I ever put another cigarette in my mouth I had failed.

The real pressure to smoke last for about a week or 10 days and after that it gets easier.

Reply to
John B.

I am very ignorant about quitting smoking because I am not a smoker, but supposedly e-cigarettes keep giving you nicotine without some bad side effects of smoking like tar and such.

Ignoramus11502

Ive already tried the jar idea but it doesnt work for me because I use the jar money for buying Monster....shrug. I quit again this morning..... until about an hour later. I plan on working for another

7 -9 years. If I can quit during that period then there should still be time to pay off my debts, buy a house and save some money for retirement.
Reply to
Gunner Asch

I dont see taking a break from quitting as failure. Its only temporary until I quit again.

Ive gone that long many times when cash was tight...shrug. The problem is then I come into some dough and feel entitled to some pleasure. Now I have to decide if Id rather keep renting and enjoy myself or save some money and buy a house but be miserable. Its a shitty choice but Im sure that eventually Ill find a solution.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Thanks. I may try those in combination with some patches. If the two together dont stop the craving I can always supplement with an occasional smoke. Im getting more motivated just talking about it!

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I dont drink. Never have. Couldnt afford it if I wanted to. Liquid budget is all used up Monster and septic cures.....shrug.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

The only real solution is to make up your mind "THAT YOU ARE GOING TO STOP", and then doing it. This "well, I'll quit for a little while", does exactly that. You quit for a little while.

Reply to
John B.

Wnong. You can not supplement with an occosional smoke. You have to convince yourself that you are quiting and get rid of cigarettes. If you have cigarettes available , you will not quit.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

I would say, ask around and then stop by a vape shop and ask if there is something you can use.

Reply to
Ignoramus11502

Reply to
John B.

This is what second son claims. In my personal case, the price went sky high in early 1993 and I had lost a couple friends to lung cancer so I got a prescription, put the last half pack in the freezer and the patch on my arm. Strong determination (Bullheadedness according to SWMBO) and a whole lot of luck and I haven't had a cigarette in over

25 years. Of course I could go back at any time but hopefully not. I think someone finised off that half pack - at least it wasn't there when the fridge died a couple years latter. I still enjoy an occasional whiff of second hand smoke but so far so good.
Reply to
Gerry

My neighbor said hypnosis helped him. Cost him $50 with a professional. The BIGGEST FACTOR is the DECISION to to it. Just don't smoke. Quit. Stop. If it's hard, TOUGH! You can quit if you WANT to. If you're weak, and you don't really WANT TO, no amount of magic will help you.

Reply to
mike

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I am incredibly strong but smokes are stronger. Except when I spill Monster on them. Id give my saggy left nut for waterproof smokes.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Goodonya, Ig. BTW, e-cigs have been proven to be just as bad as tobacco, so that's no better.

You were replying to a bogus Gunner, Ig.

I was a 2+ pack a day smoker, wanted to quit, tapered down to half a pack a day, then got the flu. After 2 days, I was feeling better and was going to go outside and have a cig when the thought came to quit. I was already beyond most of the cravings, so the rest was mental. I crushed the tobacco into the toilet, flushed it, and threw away the filters and pack. That was it for me, and it has been 30 years since I smelled like a dirty ashtray. (my favorite TRUE motivator theme) Yes, I had a few cravings to smoke once in awhile, but the thought of the dirty ashtray smell stayed with me and killed the craving easily.

My suggestion to anyone who truly wishes to quit is to do the same. Taper down, then quit cold turkey. Quitting is a decision, nothing more. You either wish to quit or you don't. Make the decision.

Reply to
Larry Jaques