Stop smoking advice needed

All....... I had an epiphamy after reading this article. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/01/22/cost-of-smoking/22144969/
So..... your best advice on how to stop is needed...... desperately. Ive tried everything over the years and have quit many.... many times but it never takes. Its time to go for broke. My reserch makes me think I should spend as much time and dough as necessary on one of these methods ASAP.
http://www.imaginelaserworks.com/additional-services/stop-quit-smoking/ Pros Laser is always good for everything. Cons Cant be sure they have the latest laser and its calibrated properly. Anybody tried a DIY version?
https://www.wikihow.com/Use-Self-Hypnosis-to-Quit-Smoking Pros Cheaper and can be done repeatedly as necessary. Cons Seems to require swinging coins..... which can be hard to come by.
Or should I try both either together or seperately in which order? Proabably a good idea to wait a reasonable time after the hypnosis before applying the laser would be my guess. Im open to all.....all suggestions.
Gunner..... serious as a heart attach this time.
Gunner Asch wrote on 5/20/2018 10:55 AM:

Try shock therapy.
Every time before you light up a cigarette, hold a metal nail in each hand and stick them into the electrical socket.
Your urge to light up a cigarette will quickly diminish over time.
I am sure it will work.
On Sun, 20 May 2018 11:08:56 -0400, j3VP9?? ? ?????? ??????? ? ??HjPw

Its a good theory but Ive tried it accidentally.....DAMHIKT..... and it didnt work.

Thats not exactly how I did it but close enough. Got my EE (equivelent sort of) the hard way.... <shrug>

So you dont have any opinion on the laser or hypnotherapi methods? Means your probably another stupid leftist for whom it will be a long hot and deadly summer..... <shrug>

What's with all the ellipsis? Is it some sort of typing stutter?

Cite.

Cite.

Cite.

Cite.
Hey Wieber, how many decades "doing your best" to quit, so far?

I dont drink. Never have. Couldnt afford it if I wanted to. Liquid budget is all used up Monster and septic cures.....shrug.
On Sunday, May 20, 2018 at 10:55:12 AM UTC-4, Gunner Asch wrote:

My wife and I both stopped smoking the simple cheap way. We did not quit a t the same time, but we just stopped buying cigarettes and just stopped smo king. For years after I stopped, I would have the urge to smoke when I was outside in cool to cold weather and was taking a break from what ever I wa s working on.
I have not kept up with the cost of cigarettes , but must be about $1 per c igarette. How about figuring out the cost of each cigarette and put in the cost of a cigarette into a jar each time you find yourself wanting a smoke .
If you can quit for two days you will have passed the hard time.
Dan
On Sun, 20 May 2018 13:08:20 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@krl.org"

Ive already tried the jar idea but it doesnt work for me because I use the jar money for buying Monster....shrug. I quit again this morning..... until about an hour later. I plan on working for another 7 -9 years. If I can quit during that period then there should still be time to pay off my debts, buy a house and save some money for retirement.

You haven't quit.

I chewed and sucked on straws a bit after quitting. There are two aspects to the mental side. First is the digital addiction, the wanting to do something with your hands. Second is the concept that you have to inhale deeply to relax, hence the straw. It took a couple weeks and half a dozen straws, but by then I was done.
Another way to reduce any mental craving was to mandate that I wouldn't fake it in the house. I had to get up, walk outside (in whatever weather), and puff on my straw a few times. That was enough negativity and hassle to help fight any craving.
See my post to Ig. It was much later that I heard that smoking was a decision, and I had toggled that mofo to OFF and kept it there.
--
If we can ever make red tape nutritional, we can feed the world.
--Robert Schaeberle

    "Habits of the hand"
    As I say ,. storming out of the computer lab to have a smoke, slapping my pockets and realizing I quit smoking 15 years before. -- pyotr filipivich "With Age comes Wisdom. Although far too often, Age travels alone."
On 5/21/2018 11:14 AM, pyotr filipivich wrote:

My dad had a couple of heart attacks before he quit, 10 years later I was in his garage, he was working on something and got frustrated, I saw his hand reach up to that shirt pocket where he used to keep his cigarettes. He smiled when he realized that.
On Sun, 20 May 2018 07:55:09 -0700, Gunner Asch

My experience was (1) finally making up my mind that I WAS GOING TO QUIT! (2) a nicotine patch, with some nicotine gum as a fall back and finally, the mind set that if I ever put another cigarette in my mouth I had failed.
The real pressure to smoke last for about a week or 10 days and after that it gets easier.
--
Cheers,

John B.
I am very ignorant about quitting smoking because I am not a smoker, but supposedly e-cigarettes keep giving you nicotine without some bad side effects of smoking like tar and such.
On Sun, 20 May 2018 17:40:20 -0500, Ignoramus11502

Thanks. I may try those in combination with some patches. If the two together dont stop the craving I can always supplement with an occasional smoke. Im getting more motivated just talking about it!
On Sunday, May 20, 2018 at 8:01:53 PM UTC-4, Gunner Asch wrote:

Wnong. You can not supplement with an occosional smoke. You have to convince yourself that you are quiting and get rid of cigarettes. If you have cigarettes available , you will not quit.
Dan

I would say, ask around and then stop by a vape shop and ask if there is something you can use.
On Sun, 20 May 2018 21:39:03 -0500, Ignoramus11502

Goodonya, Ig. BTW, e-cigs have been proven to be just as bad as tobacco, so that's no better.

You were replying to a bogus Gunner, Ig.
I was a 2+ pack a day smoker, wanted to quit, tapered down to half a pack a day, then got the flu. After 2 days, I was feeling better and was going to go outside and have a cig when the thought came to quit. I was already beyond most of the cravings, so the rest was mental. I crushed the tobacco into the toilet, flushed it, and threw away the filters and pack. That was it for me, and it has been 30 years since I smelled like a dirty ashtray. (my favorite TRUE motivator theme) Yes, I had a few cravings to smoke once in awhile, but the thought of the dirty ashtray smell stayed with me and killed the craving easily.
My suggestion to anyone who truly wishes to quit is to do the same. Taper down, then quit cold turkey. Quitting is a decision, nothing more. You either wish to quit or you don't. Make the decision.
--
If we can ever make red tape nutritional, we can feed the world.
--Robert Schaeberle
On Mon, 21 May 2018 08:07:57 -0700, Larry Jaques

That wont work for me because I love the smell of a dirty ashtray! Although its hard to tell which part of the odor smorgisboard is ashtray, dog, mold, scum etc....shrug.

The decision was made many....many years ago. I decided to quit and I did many times. And Ill keep quitting no matter what!
On Mon, 21 May 2018 09:40:22 -0700, Gunner Asch
Somebody nuke this bogosity.
--
If we can ever make red tape nutritional, we can feed the world.
--Robert Schaeberle
On Mon, 21 May 2018 19:35:16 -0700, Larry Jaques

LOL Aren't you the guy who's always telling people to ignore things they don't like? Doctor, heal thyself.
Anyway, you might note that one of the reason Wieber attracts so much animus is that he's fond of pretending he's taking people out. Are you thinking it worked so well for him that you'll adopt the strategy?
On 5/21/2018 8:07 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

That's wrong. Nicotine is bad no matter what, but the e-cigarettes are *far* less harmful to health than ordinary cigarettes.