Storing GTAW filler

Heh! I'm not sure you understand how my rod looks!

Yes, Pete-----I understand-----and I agree-----it's virtually impossible to eliminate aluminum oxide from forming----it does so almost instantaneously-----but what I'm talking about is the return of aluminum to it's native form as ore. The rod in question looks like hell, not just dull in appearance.

The point is, if there is enough moisture present, it won't stop degrading. A preventive measure, to eliminate moisture, will insure it remains viable. Simply storing it in a closed tube or sorts would likely work. Sure would be better than what I did------which was nothing. I was thinking the same way you are.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 13:21:24 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, "Karl Townsend" quickly quoth:

You forgot to fill it with sexy lingerie, Karl.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I've used a vacuum packer bought from Fred Meyer's to store a bunch of backpacking and camping gear in. You can cut the bag material to any length, seal one end, put in a bunch of rod, then vacuum pack it. The machines are easy to use, and I've yet to lose vacuum on stuff I've packed away several years ago.

Next to an inert atmosphere, perhaps next to no atmosphere will turn the trick for you!

Reply to
TinLizziedl