Surface grinder question

First of all, how often are surface grinders needed in the context of buying-repairing-selling of machinery or general screwing around?
Second, say, I wanted to resurface the face of an anvil. How long will it take to do with something like a Boyar-Schultz 612 Deluxe surface grinder (non-CNC)? Taking off, say, 50 thousandths from a face of an anvil.
I have one and I am trying to decide if I need to keep it or sell. Mine has an electromagnetic chuck.
thanks

Normal finish grind allowance is about .005

On 8/18/2011 11:52 PM, Ignoramus20025 wrote:

We all have a pretty good idea of the kind of stuff you do. I don't think you need a surface grinder. I only use mine for die making and sharpening and for some high-precision parts that I have to hold .0005" or so. Sell it!

Thanks Tom. I will think some more, but I am leaning in the direction of your thought.
Does anyone know how to remove a motor on a boyar Schltz 618 grinder?

    You could use it to make a precise spacer to go between bearings for the proper pre-load. Or shims to space something just right. Or, if you want a really flat surface for something.

    50 thousandths -- Hmm ... you might be able to 0.0005" depth per pass, so figure 100 passes to reach your depth. And figure a *lot* of passes to go across the face of the anvil, since you don't cut across the full width of the stone at a time. Maybe 0.050" per pass at a given depth. If the machine has automatic feeds, you can set it up and read something while you work -- but you want to be there to hear if it starts to bind. You'll probably need to dress the wheel a few times during that 0.050" depth of cut. (Harold should drop in here and give *real* figures.) I'm working from the amount of metal my little purely manual Sanford can handle. Patience is truly a necessity for removing much metal. I think that a Blanchard grinder might be a quicker way to get most of that 0.050" off -- and then go to the surface grinder for the final finish passes.

    Nice. Does it have provisions for coolant? (Mine does not, which is probably one reason for my slow cutting.)
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

My biggest concern would be the weight of the anvil. If it's not large, it would work reasonably well, assuming the machine has hydraulic feed. Cranking the weight by hand would get old fast.
Depth of cut, assuming one has coolant, and uses the right wheel, could be as great as .008" per pass, but with modest step-over. I'd suggest something like .03" per pass. It goes pretty fast that way. The wheel may require dressing after each pass, or not. It's pretty easy to know when it's time, as the crisp edge of the wheel deteriorates, causing the cut to labor. Coolant would be almost a must, although with the mass of an anvil, a lot of heat could be absorbed.
Surface grinders are wonderful machines if applied properly.
Something to consider. Motors on precision grinders are not of the common variety. They are generally precision balanced, and should not be replaced by single phase motors, even if they are balanced. The pulsation of the single phase motor will generally manifest itself in the surface finish. If you can't provide three phase power, I'd suggest you not get involved unless absolutely necessary. You're bound to be disappointed.
Grinding is an art. You can work to .000050" with a good surface grinder, but you must have a firm understanding of proper procedures. One must not be ham handed.

I agree, assuming one is at disposal. They're a real work horse.
Harold
On 8/19/2011 11:57, Harold & Susan Vordos wrote:

One can easily get 3 phase power to motor from VFD so that is not a problem nowadays. Just a VFD that takes 1 phase input and outputs 3 phase to motor. Ebay..
Kristian Ukkonen.
On 8/19/2011 1:28 AM, DoN. Nichols wrote:

Yea boy...I sure wish I could fall into a Blanch grinder! I DID fall into an Arter rotary surface grinder to sharpen concave round cutters.

I may be able to sell you one, cheap.
On 8/19/2011 7:32 AM, Ignoramus25624 wrote:

Shipping would be a killer! Where I am there is more industrial equipment than you can imagine and more going to market every day. BUT...thanks, let me know what you have access to.

What, a mere 300 miles? Nah! You'll have riggers ringing your phone off the hook to do the job for less than the price of one of your reloading sessions, I'll bet.
Or ask Scotty to beam it over. (I hope I live to see that tech come about.)
-- It is characteristic of all deep human problems that they are not to be approached without some humor and some bewilderment. -- Freeman Dyson
On 8/20/2011 7:40 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

One of my customers asked us to send somebody to a machine auction that's about 2-1/2 hours away and bid on a BIG lathe. Used, it should go for $15k. Roger loves road trips and buying used machines, he usually leaves a dealer bleeding. My customer makes "Dodge-Em" cars for amusement parks and we make brushes that are the electrical contacts with the floor. How cool is THAT? All for good customer relations!
"Tom Gardner" wrote in message wrote:

One of my customers asked us to send somebody to a machine auction that's about 2-1/2 hours away and bid on a BIG lathe. Used, it should go for $15k. Roger loves road trips and buying used machines, he usually leaves a dealer bleeding. My customer makes "Dodge-Em" cars for amusement parks and we make brushes that are the electrical contacts with the floor. How cool is THAT? All for good customer relations!
Something made in the US. That's cool enough for me.
Garrett Fulton

Way cool. So, does Roger transport, or just say "Get it moved."?