Suspend those pesky physics laws!

But how to meet the 300ms travel time with just a PLC for control?

Reply to
Tim Wescott

That basically describes feeder #2 but it's driven by air not a motor. I'll post pix of some of the feeders we still have along with the new one.

Reply to
Buerste

I can visualize that!

Reply to
Buerste

My sediments exactly!

Reply to
Buerste

Yep! But I hate these "Kentucky Windage" things!

Reply to
Buerste

You're always so MEAN to me!

Steppers don't have the speed or oomph and I'm a "MECHANICAL" engineer! Get it...mechanical??? Anybody can just stick in electronics but it takes a mechanical guy to do a "Rube Goldberg".

Reply to
Buerste

could you stop it with electromagnets?

Reply to
chaniarts

Would love to see a picture of #2. If I get what you're saying above, you were using an air cylinder to advance the one-way jaw in a linear fashion? If so... I'm talking about a crankshaft and connecting rod type setup. Though the crank rotates at a constant velocity, the linear output slows to a smooth stop at each end of travel.

But a picture's worth a thousand words... I'll watch for your posting of them.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

You wouldn't say that if you read the source code for a few products with embedded processors. Embedded software is the ultimate Rube Goldberg artifact, it's just well hidden.

You shred mechanical drawings so your competitors can't copy your product.

You shred electrical drawings so your competitors can't get an idea of how you think.

You shred source code so your competitors won't laugh at you.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

They have a nasty tendency to change with time and temperature. You want the machine to serve you, not the other way around.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Sure, a magnetic particle brake is being considered as well as an air caliper brake.

Reply to
Buerste

My good friends at Carlson Tool, they make brush machines, does machine shows in China. They change the labels on the servo gear boxes so that the gear ratios are WAY off.

Reply to
Buerste

It has to do with the planet Mercury...

Reply to
Buerste

it's the phase of the moon

Reply to
chaniarts

On 3/5/2010 12:17 PM, Tim Wescott wrote: you could well have designed in a brushless motor

Tom doesn't do brushless.

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

On Fri, 5 Mar 2010 14:04:37 -0500, the infamous "Buerste" scrawled the following:

Sedimentary, my dear Watson.

-- An author spends months writing a book, and maybe puts his heart's blood into it, and then it lies about unread till the reader has nothing else in the world to do. -- W. Somerset Maugham, The Razor's Edge, 1943

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 5 Mar 2010 14:01:17 -0500, the infamous "Buerste" scrawled the following:

Yeah, the exact opposite effect of shooting machine gun rounds between the prop blades on a WWI fighter. But when the timing's off, it goes through a helluva lot of material in a short period.

-- An author spends months writing a book, and maybe puts his heart's blood into it, and then it lies about unread till the reader has nothing else in the world to do. -- W. Somerset Maugham, The Razor's Edge, 1943

Reply to
Larry Jaques

axolotl wrote in news:hms297$nfb$1 @news.eternal-september.org:

Good one.

Reply to
Charles U Farley

On Fri, 5 Mar 2010 14:11:32 -0500, the infamous "Buerste" scrawled the following:

I'll take that as "orange grove", then. Thanks.

Really? What kind of forces are we talkin' here? Is your leetle thang physically tugging on the gigantic 2T spool of wire?

If I'd gone to college, I'd have taken both courses and come out an EME who could leap over tall buildings in a single electromechanical bound!

Well, since you're too tightarsed to go with servos, Rube away, sir!

-- An author spends months writing a book, and maybe puts his heart's blood into it, and then it lies about unread till the reader has nothing else in the world to do. -- W. Somerset Maugham, The Razor's Edge, 1943

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 5 Mar 2010 17:33:25 -0500, the infamous "Buerste" scrawled the following:

Then what do you do with the magnetized bits of wire? 8-/