Tamper-resistant screw

?Apple is switching to a new type of tamper-resistant screw. This is not a standard Torx, and there are no readily available screwdrivers that can remove it. This isn't the first time they've used this type of screw-it first appeared in the mid-2009 MacBook Pro to prevent you from replacing the battery-and Apple is using a similar screw on the outer case of the current MacBook Air.

Gonna make a screw driver.

Small dividing head, ball nosed end mill, and some drill rod.

T&C grinder, indexer, and some drill blank. I think a triangular shape might work.

Any other ideas?

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

Maybe bundle five pieces of music wire with an appropriate spacer in the middle. They could be silver soldered or perhaps held in a pin vise collet.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

That's true...

.. but that's not.

DAGS on "pentalobe screwdriver".

Buy one on Amazon for six bucks:

Doug Miller

You should be able to buy Pentalobe drivers for a few dollars RSN sooo... unless you have a burning desire^H^H^H^Hneed to open up your iPhone or whatever _now_ , waiting would seem to be a reasonable thing to do.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Small piece of music wire, some needle files; take the screw out and replace it with a screw with a more friendly head... or did you think that Apple designed a special thread also?

Or, just buy a Nokia.

Reply to
john B.

This is why I never buy any Apple products. I feel that they hate me and want to put me in "jail". I see a lot of people writing about "jailbreaking" Apple products. This always puzzled me, as paying money to Apple to be in jail, does not strike me as a good idea.

Ignoramus11185

The amount of accuracy and durability you'd need would be a couple of aspects to consider.. if one needs to deal with thousands of such fasteners routinely, they might find it worthwhile to find a good source, such as Apex or equivalent.

I've had a little difficulty from time to time, in removing a screw from plastic or sheetmetal consumer products. They aren't too difficult to remove since they're not torqued very tightly to begin with. New fastener styles are generally not too difficult to remove.

Left-hand twist drill in a pin vise or suitable handle. Improvise with a suitable tool.. or modify a low cost more-commonly available tool. Slightly damage the appearance of some screwheads, then replace the screws with standard ones. Heat the fastener a little.. or more, with a slodering iron tip. Use one removed screw to use as a die, to then drive a suitably sized section of mild steel or brass into, or over, to percussively form a custom tool with, for careful occassional use.

Maybe the manufacturer is just looking for an obvious sign that someone has done unauthorized modifications to returned equipment. Sony, for one, will refuse to examine/troubleshoot/estimate repairs, or accept for exchange.. some of their equipment that has been opened by an end user.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

Bingo! F' Scrapple.

Reply to
Pete C.

yeah, don't buy shit from apple to begin with.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Yup, I totally agree, they are acting like Rolls Royce, with the key locks on the hood.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

If you are not allowed to modify it you do not own it.

I love the way they are adding the bastard screws on items they work on.

Dave

Reply to
Dave__67

Absolutely agree. I don't buy Apple products either. Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

Exactly.

Ignoramus27981

Lady friend wants to put a bigger hard drive in her macbook.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

Agreed, lady friend got conned into buying a macbook now she wants a bigger hard drive. Its one of those honeydo jobs.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

*Snip*

H.

Reply to
Howard Eisenhauer

I wonder if a flat screwdriver narrowed to a jam fit might loosen them.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

If it doesn't, you're not jamming it hard enough.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

How about an external drive?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I am just wondering, how easy it is to change a hard drive in a Mac laptop?

Reply to
Ignoramus27981