the Midas touch

I jumped into the shower today and found out that the pilot light on the water heater went out yesterday. Brrr. I'm in the buff, my clothes are in the washer.

Yesterday, I spent an hour trying to get a machine at work limping along when I really needed to spend 30 minutes getting parts coming in for today that are 4 days away.

So today, I started fabbing a part figuring my limp along would fail and it sure did. I was making a nylon bushing to replace an improperly spec 'd part that failed and I blew looking up a dimension. 36mm OD instead of 32 mm OD.

So I run out to the machine after I finish the 20.1 mm id (2" deep) and learn about the 32 mm housing. No problem, I'll turn half of the bushing and turn it around. .100" from being finished, a production line down, the spindle winds down. I lost control power.

I open control panel, check overloads, bump the spindle motor starter and chuck spins. Check control panel door safety switch, seems okay. Call over another tech, hey, when I tell you push in this relay. Turn off last .100" and reach to un-chuck part. Moment of worry sets in, look at tech, show me your hands, I don't want you to touch anything while I have the chuck key in. Get part out, noting possible industrial accident avoided and get machine running.

Order different parts to re-engineer an engineers failed effort coming in tomorrow.

Outside of the water heater, it was a pretty good day for me.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

I'd love to own a kb truck, wouldn't you?

Homebuilders in 1800 didn't allow trees near any targets (homes/outbuildings) because they clearcut it for 100 yards around the house. And loggers simply dropped the trees between the other trees without having to worry about fences, manicured yards, etc.

Right. With no money, not enough energy/bodily strength/time, getting someone else to take the wood and clean up after themselves seems to be the proper engineering plan. Actually, it's an executive decision: Think quickly and get someone else to do the work.

-- Ask not what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive... then go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive. -- Howard Thurman

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Who wouldn't? Bet Iggy could the heavy duty version for moving toy^H^H^H machine tools from thither to yon.

(...)

So they could control 'direction of fall' within say +-5 degrees? We have lost so much mastery in this modern computer age! (Chuckle!) :)

(...)

By George, I think you've got it!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

[ ... ]

Hmm ... consider that this date is double the 13th. It is not a Friday -- but does that shift with double days? :-)

Sure sounds like it with your day.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Indubitably, my dear Winston.

I watched a 75' tall pine being dropped at my neighbor's this morning, and I've felt 3 others go since then from the comfort of my own home. It was just barely within your prescribed 5 degrees. He could have done better if the tree hadn't been so curved, I'm sure. Despite two well-hammered-in wedges, it came my direction a bit.

Great Caesar's Ghost! Whatever happened to Jove?

-- Ask not what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive... then go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive. -- Howard Thurman

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You could sell the wood shavings to the bitch with the horses for the inside of the stalls. Make sure you remind her what a problem she created.

SW

Reply to
Sunworshipper

And perhaps if you had dropped them last year..... WHat she is supposed t o wait forever on YOU? She may or may not be a bitch, but her utilizing her own property does not make her one.

Well around where I live, that isn't a problem. I have a friend who does that when EVER he can find the work. [WHich is fairly often around here]

Again, where I live, Redwood Logs are worth good money, especially in the "correct" lengths.[I don't remember what that is]

jk

Reply to
jk