the Midas touch

I just looked it up $60 for 50 lb.

Karl Townsend

I've done it once, it's fun. I only used a 3/4" ship auger. The holes should be almost through the stump. I only used a pound or two, but the stump was only a little over 1 ft. dia. Water it in, cover witth a plastic bag, let it sit. The stump needs to be dead.

The nitrate leaches into the wood and acts as an oxidizer when you burn it. Mine burned for 1 week. When smoke finally quit curling out of the ground, there were just ash filled tunnels where the roots had been.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Good Lord! Humco is the drugstore variety (of old), and has always been pricey.

A 50lb bag from the local growers' co-op costs $63. (was $19 up 'til about five years ago, then took a giant leap).

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Or, go eBay:

2X the price, but quick an easy
Reply to
Karl Townsend

Y'think?

I keep hearing horror stories about underground root systems burning down houses, barns, and other outbuildings, trees, forests... Me no burn roots.

I'd zimply -love- a backhoe but can't spare a year's wages for one.

-- Age is always advancing, and I'm pretty sure it's up to no good. --Harry Dresden

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I was astonished that the stuff was still available at all. Thanks for the info!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I prefer the dainty Mr. Transplant Spade for this task since my rotator cuffs ain't what they used to be.

a hard-workin', stainless tool.

I want someone to bring Mr. Climber, Mr. Rope, and Mr. Chainsaw and their friends, Mr. Chipper, Mr. Loader, and Mr. Insured Feller for this game. I want him to pay me for the privilege if possible, but lumber prices are dirt low and nobody local mills redwood, so it's nearly unsalable. Go figure.

I thought so. It won't do nearly the work of a 9500# Warn ($1k), but it outperforms me tenfold, at minimum. It was a fun project.

-- Age is always advancing, and I'm pretty sure it's up to no good. --Harry Dresden

Reply to
Larry Jaques

That's a ridiculous price, Winnie. Try

premix.

I love the Com-Pleet (glyphosate) from Green Light. It's less than 1/4 the cost of Roundup. A quart of 41% is $15 to a quart of 18% Roundup for $22. The only downside is that Roundup can work at a slightly lower application temperature. (A guy who runs a local Ace Hardware clued me into that. He hears all the testimony from farmers.) Anyway, I trust the brand. T'won't take a stump out, tho.

Saltpeter also goes for less if it's not being sold as a hoodoo charm chemical:

or
at a fifth the price.

StumpNot says 16 oz for a 12" trunk. I've never used the stuff.

-- Age is always advancing, and I'm pretty sure it's up to no good. --Harry Dresden

Reply to
Larry Jaques

About the time everyone decided they could profit from 9/11, huh?

-- Ask not what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive... then go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive. -- Howard Thurman

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Thought provoking, that.

(...)

Something is Rotten in Denmark, then.

My local wood monger wants (are you sitting down?) $5.50 *a foot* for 1 x 6 clear heart redwood fence boards. $27.50 a board!

I went to my local big box store and picked up a bunch of construction grade for ~4.00 per board. Extortionate but not as bad as the pros.

Time to weld up a sawmill, Larry!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Yup. I was just marveling that the stuff was available at all. As you see, Karl cited a couple prices that are much more in keeping with my frugal nature.

Printed. Thank you sir.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Wow, that really puts a new price on the redwood sandbox I made 20 years ago. It wasn't all clear, but it was 7' square, with diagonally planked seats all around the outside and two full-length toy boxes, 22" high. I started with 300 board feet of redwood my dad had bought 20 years before

*that* to make a pair of bocci courts, but they moved before he could build them.

I also have a stash of 70-year-old Honduras mahogany....(heh, heh...)

Reply to
Ed Huntress

(...)

You're gonna need a webcam to keep an eye on that $3300 sandbox!

Not a poor man's hobby, methinks.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I broke it up and got rid of it around 10 years ago. The redwood was so old that it was rotting. But it held up really well until the end.

I hand-planed every square inch of those planks with my 80-year-old, maple-bodied jointer plane. It was a beauty. My wife found a plan in a magazine and said "like this, only about a foot or two longer on a side." Sheesh, that tripled the amount of work. I'll have to look around for a photo of it.

BTW, it was fastened 100% with silicon bronze boat screws. My uncle built boats as a hobby, and I inherited around 50 pounds of the things.

Eh, I thought it would be worth more than that by now. It's nicely figured, but I have only around 40 board feet left. My uncle used to make furniture, too, and he was a school shop teacher, so he got great deals.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

(...)

"It shouldn't take you long. It's pretty *straightforward*."

Music to my ears. :)

Please.

Not 20 - millisecond smacks from a nail gun then?

(Mahogany price quote)

Does the price go down when you are the seller?

My wood monger would probably quote > $150 a board foot for that mahogany, without so much as a grin.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I rectum so, huh?

to verTICKLE one.

One problem is that the bitch behind me built a horse arena (IE: scraped it flat and tossed sand on top) so I no longer have the OK to drop the trees there, as she promised last year. Grrrrr...

Another problem is how to get 8' lengths of redwood down off the tree and how to move them around after they're down.

Another problem is not having any place to dry it.

Another problem is not having any money after Uncle Sam got through with me this year. I'd have built a small shop otherwise.

Then there's the problem of 6k pounds of branches. I wonder what size chippers they rent. (I could use the chips after removing my lawn.)

Decisions, decisions...

-- Ask not what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive... then go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive. -- Howard Thurman

Reply to
Larry Jaques

But the stumps have to be dead first. That rules my yard out.

Jewelcome.

-- Ask not what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive... then go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive. -- Howard Thurman

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I thought so. Truckers say "It'll cost an arm and a leg to drive to NorCal to sell it to a mill." Plus the tree is split. It grew two parallel peaks with flats in the middle. That's the main reason I want it down.

It's not available in So Oregon.

-- Ask not what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive... then go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive. -- Howard Thurman

Reply to
Larry Jaques

OMG! That is so COOL! I love the knuckle boom!

The lumberjacks in 1800 didn't have Google. I'm just saying.

Guy down the street has a back lot. He would be Very Happy to dry a tree's worth of redwood if he could keep say 10%.

The essence of engineering is getting what we want from what we have. Or words to that effect.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

(...)

Notice how much the prices change when you ask at the 'sales' window? No market, my hiney.

I notice there is no local market for metal scrap in my area. Folks are still stealing funeral urns electrical cable and manhole covers though.

It is a puzzlement.

Must be a weird-looking redwood, with no straight sections over 5' long. (Huge Grin)

No more coal in Newcastle then?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston