This groups will surely know

Slightly OT, but I once asked an Irishman whether they had an expression for "manana" (sorry can't be bothered to figure out how to put in the ~) and he reckoned they didn't have any way of expressing quite that much urgency.

Reply to
Newshound

I agree. I don't think any thing mentioned here quite compares to plumbing problems. Sometimes I think it is cheaper and quicker to re-plumb the entire house than to replace a 50 cent (used to be 5 cent) washer. Bill.

Reply to
lathenut

My brother-in-law, a Texas Mexican whose family was legal before there _was_ a Texas, USA, told me manana does not mean "tomorrow:" It means: "Not today, probably not tomorrow, maybe sometime after that." :)

Reply to
John Husvar

It's a Law of Nature: The probability of a tool going missing is directly proportional to your need of it and/or the proximity in time of your laying it down.

BTW: Everybody quit blaming poor Murphy. He didn't invent Murphy's Law, he just formally described it. :)

Yes, gnomes, elves, gnurrs,* etc. do exist. I have several living in my shop. I usually see them at the very extreme corners of my vision as they're carrying things away.

*The gnurrs come from the woodwork out.
Reply to
John Husvar

Funny you should mention that. I was at my parents house helping with a plumbing situation the other evening, went into my dad's toolbench, and there in the drawer...let's just say it was just like looking at my toolbox. Except of course that it was my tools, in the wrong place. So, I've figured out where at least some of my handtools have been going. Can't blame the kids yet, at least not the younger one, he's under two and doesn't go in the shop alone. Turns out it was one generation in the _other_ direction.

He doesn't have my depth mic though, because I checked. And I know it's _RIGHT THERE_.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

It's called AADS:

Adult Attention Deficit Syndrom

I'm a longtime sufferer, as my wife can attest.

Reply to
Rex B