Tomato deluge

For the first time in years I have a bumper crop of tomatoes. The past three years I had to actually buy some! From grape to heirloom monsters they have overrun the courtyard like ISIS at a Synagog. At much as we eat only puts a dent in the crop from only 5 plants. Two of these plants are 8' by 8'. I've skinned and boiled down at least 3 gallons of puree and froze the product for future use in soups, sauces, pies, etc. I soon will have another bushel of fruit to contend with. The neighbors don't want any more, any ideas?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Soup kitchen or homeless shelter. Set a value and even get a little tax write-off.

----- Regards, Carl Ijames

For the first time in years I have a bumper crop of tomatoes. The past three years I had to actually buy some! From grape to heirloom monsters they have overrun the courtyard like ISIS at a Synagog. At much as we eat only puts a dent in the crop from only 5 plants. Two of these plants are 8' by 8'. I've skinned and boiled down at least 3 gallons of puree and froze the product for future use in soups, sauces, pies, etc. I soon will have another bushel of fruit to contend with. The neighbors don't want any more, any ideas?

Reply to
Carl Ijames

Any community pantrys or food banks in your area?

most soup kitchens
, etc. would also welcome donations of fresh produce.

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

Have you made your own V8 juice? I'm good for 100 qt a year. you'll need a victorio strainer. I like mine with hot peppers and onions

Reply to
Karl Townsend

On Wednesday, October 8, 2014 1:50:03 PM UTC-4, Tom Gardner wrote: I've skinned and boiled down at least 3 gallons of

My wife makes tomato jam.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Sauce tomatoes dry very nicely, and store compactly in the freezer. They last for years.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Just add Blue Sapphire!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

What a stupid f*ck you are!

syn?a?gogue or syn?a?gog (?s?n ??g?g, -?g?g)

n.

  1. a Jewish house of worship, often having facilities for religious instruction or serving as a community center.
  2. a congregation of Jews for the purpose of religious worship.
  3. Rare. the Jewish religion; Judaism. [1125?75; < Late Latin synag?ga < Greek synag?g? assembly, meeting =syn-

syn`a?gog?i?cal (-?g?d? ? k?l) syn?a?gog`al (-?g?g ?l, -?g? g?l) adj.

How's the wife beating going lately? No jury in the country would convict her if she killed you. Hope she does! Most of us here would finance her defense. Doesn't it register with you that you have to change your info constantly to get off everybody's PLONK list? Have you no shame at being universally hated? *AND---you can't spell.*

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Tom I have given up on growing tomatoes. I love them, and I try to grow them every year, but they wither and die, or produce a handful of fruit out of

8 or 10 plants. Fortunately there is a produce stand on the way home from t he shop that has great vine-ripened tomatoes. Anyway, tell me where you are and I'll run by and help you with that pro blem :)

Rex

Reply to
Rex

but they wither and die, or produce a handful of fruit out of 8 or 10 plants. Fortunately there is a produce stand on the way home from the shop that has great vine-ripened tomatoes.

North Ridgeville OH, just West of Cleveland. I too have lamented poor crops for three years and cant tell you why. Blossom end rot one year, no blossoms next year and so on. I only planted three this year and had two volunteers pop up that went crazy.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

several videos that may be of interest

F. George McDuffee

Buy Vodka or Rum.

Simple as that! Martin

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Wife beating anal pustule coward. Violence is YOUR forte---ask your wife. I notice all your friends here rallying to defend your reputation. Does anybody have even a shred of respect for you? I thought not. I've seen all the forums and web sites that have banned you...can't you take a hint? Face it, you are universally hated, and for good reason! Compared to everybody else on the web that knows of you, I'm being kind, they *REALLY* hate you! I just think you are a total asshole.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

posted more lies and threaded violence he can't back up:

How does one "threaded violence"? You prove your stupidity with every post! Is that what you do to your wife just before you beat her? Do you beat pets too? I'd bet you never had a pet for more than a few hours or until it could run away, even with the pork chop tied around your neck.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Any San Marzano? (Italian sauce tomatoes) I used to do fairly well with them, in SW Ohio.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I don't know exactly, we have 2 Roma or plumb or something with lots of flesh and small amount of seeds and goo.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

The seed pack or plant labels probably would have said so if they were San Marzanos. They're a premium paste tomato, popular here in NJ.

I envy you your crop. I had to skip growing tomatoes this year. For the past couple of years I've had great crops of Rutgers Ramapos, which are a superior slicing tomato.

If you want to try them next year, remind me around February and I'll tell you how to get seeds. They're not for sale at retailers -- so far. You have to get them through Rutgers' Ag. Extension Service. And don't buy the "Rutgers" plants sold at Home Depot and other plant outlets. They're completely degenerate from the original variety -- which I also can get next season, if they have enough seeds.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I did Roma's this year , they did OK . I'll be trying San Marzano's next year because I've heard they produce well in our area . I want to have enough for a year's worth of sauces/soups/etc in my freezer . Hey Tom , what are you fertilizing with ? I used 13/13/13 this year , but just a little . The plant next to my compost pile (mostly chicken waste & hay) is going great guns right now while the rest are getting pretty feeble ... except the cherry toms , they're still blooming and producing well . The seed package said they were beefsteaks , last time I buy seeds at WM !

Reply to
Terry Coombs

You can just wash, core the top, slip them into ziploc bags and then freeze. Use them for cooking anywhere suitable. The skin will easily slip off if you put them under hot/warm water while still frozen if you don't need/want it.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Find some way to turn them into lubricant -- or Bio-Diesel. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols