Tomato growers

I'm going to try "Mr. Stripey" again this year. It's one hard strain of tomato to grow, but has a better taste than anything I've ever grown. Prone to every tomato disease/blight/rot known from my experience. I'm giving it one more try.

I got Fusarium Wilt in my area. I have yet to find a variety that doesn't succumb to it.

Boris

On Tue, 24 Feb 2015 09:36:13 -0500, Boris Mohar

That's a nasty one. Did you try varieties that are said to be resistant, or did you just try standard ones?
Amelia and BHN 602 are supposed to be among the most resistant. I've never heard of BHN 602, but Amelia is popular around here.
--
Ed Huntress

On Tue, 24 Feb 2015 10:55:24 -0500, Ed Huntress

Correction: That isn't Amelia that's popular here. It's Amarillo, which won a local county taste contest for the past couple of years.
I don't know anything about Amelia, either, but it's supposed to be very disease resistant, including all three types of Fusarium, and it does well in the Southeast.
--
Ed Huntress

I tried all that claim to be resistant without much success. It strikes just as the first fruit is about to ripen. I will look for Amarillo.
--
Boris

On Thu, 26 Feb 2015 09:14:19 -0500, Boris Mohar

I'm afraid that my naming error has complicated things. Amelia is the one that is claimed to be very disease-resistant. Amarillo is the one that won a local taste test. It's a largish cherry tomato. I don't know how disease-resistant it is.
--
Ed Huntress

On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 15:50:52 -0500, Ed Huntress

===============Thread hi-jack alert
Anybody here into hydroponics?
--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
On Tue, 24 Feb 2015 15:57:21 -0600, F. George McDuffee

Winston was (the other Winston). I haven't seen him for a year or more.
--
Ed