Tool identification help

My wife comes up the dangdest things.
Today, she's cleaning up her sewing room, and hands me this tiny C clamp. It is made very well, cast iron body, knurled knob, threaded shaft, and a
rotating end. It is chrome plated, and has a 1" throat. On the side, in the casting, is "BROWNIE". Overall size, 2 3/8" x 1 1/8".
It is as cute as can be. It may be some type of special clamp, or just a promo item. It looks as if it might be by my guess, from the fifties or thereabouts.
Can anyone shed a little light on this?
TIA
Steve
Steve B wrote:

Ask her if she ever had an old TOY sewing machine....... They used a small C chaped clamp to hold them to the table edge. Some older ones can be quite fancy.
Grummy

Base for a sewing machine large spool of thread holder? Many are a post fixture that the thread spool simply sits on, rather than trying to get the big spool to sit on the top of the sewing machine. They clamp to the table like a C clamp.
Gunner
Political Correctness

Hard to say without a picture, but it sounds to me like a camera holder (sort of a poor man's tripod). Such devices are a C-clamp with a short 1/4-20 rod attached the end opposite the knob that clamps it. The position of the rod is generally adjustable. The name, BROWNIE, is, of course, an Eastman Kodak trademark. It would have probably been made in the '20s or so.
Jerry
On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 18:10:28 -0800, "Steve B"

Hi Steve,
Just guessing, but you might want to check out Quilting clamps (used to hold the quilt to the frame?). I've seen pictures of antique ones that were pretty nice. I would think that they must still be using something similar if not the same today. Quilting has really caught on again in recent years.
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

I've got an old micrometer marked "BROWNIE".
IIRC, they were sold at Wolworth's way back when.
--

Dan

CNC Videos - <http://tinyurl.com/yzdt6d